Re: [News] Java is Now Officially Free Software

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Saturday 21 June 2008 00:19 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer
> <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:17:44 +0100
> <8tmti5-8hq.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
>>>
>>> though it's not quite ready yet.  I'm not sure what to test it with
>>> but there are plenty of Flash games out there; if it works with them,
>>> great.
>>>
>>> (Last I checked, there were a fair number of problems. That was
>>> awhile ago.)
>>
>> Well it's only compatible up to Flash 7, for a start, but all good
>> things take time...
>>

> Aye, and in any event someone's largely cracked the Flash format anyway.
>
> One hopes Adobe gets a clue and publishes a standard for it at some
> point.  ;-)  There is hope; Adobe has
> http://www.adobe.com/openscreenproject/
> which apparently has as a goal the removal of most restrictions on
> SWF and FLV/F4V specs, among other things.
>
> It appears that they get it.
>
> One can also use websites such as
>
> http://www.half-serious.com/swf/format/
>
> which goes into some details on the internals of SWF up
> to about version 4 or 5.  If one's in more of a hurry
> one might also use the Ming library.

Ghost, the developers of Gnash reckon that Flash Player will inevitably be
opened up (so-called third-party Intellectual Monopoly issued aside), but
whether with the GPL or not -- that's a separate question.

It was similar with GPUs (hackers pressure vendor, then become moot). I hear
from a reliable person that NVIDIA might soon follow AMD's footsteps. The best
news from ADM will come later this summer, which is why I often say that the
future is bright for the Free desktop. The principal hindrance and hurdles to
clear are gangster organisations with Intellectual Monopolies and dreck like
the ACTA. The fiercest foe of freedom is corruption.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | You can never get nine women to deliver a baby in a
month