[News] GNU/Linux UMPCs Can't Stop Coming, 20 Named

How Many Linux UMPCs Can You Name? Test Yourself.

,----[ Quote ]
| # Eee PC
| # CloudBook
| # OLPC
| # Noahpad
| # HP 2133
| # Elonex One
| # Gecko Laptop
| # Intel’s MID(s) - Yeah, yeah, I know it is a “MID” not a “UMPC.” Who really
|   cares?
| # BPETD H9
| # EB MIMD
| # eo TufTab v7112XT
| # Pepper Pad
| # Lime PC
| # Simple PC
| # ECS G10IL
| # WING
| # Unnamed Acer UMPC - Linux on this device is not confirmed, but quite
|    possible
| # Gigabyte M528 MID
| # Nokia N810, N800, N770
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/03/08/how-many-linux-umpcs-can-you-name-test-yourself/

They forgot quite a few, but it's a good start.

Recent:

Norhtec to Release Yet Another Sub-$300 Linux UMPC

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Barnes, the Gecko laptop will be announced soon, and will hit
| the market at a sub-$300 price tag, in order to compete with the other
| 7-inchers of its kin.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Norhtec-to-Release-Yet-Another-Sub-300-Linux-UMPC-80456.shtml

Related:

The £99 laptop: how can it be so cheap?

,----[ Quote ]
| A new laptop computer for just £99 sounds like the kind of offer found in a
| spam e-mail or on a dodgy auction website. But the British company Elonex is
| launching the country’s first sub £100 computer later this month and hopes to
| be making 200,000 of them by the summer. It will be aimed at schoolchildren
| and teenagers, and looks set to throw the market for budget laptops wide
| open.
|
| Called the One, it can be used as a traditional notebook computer or, with
| the screen detached from the keyboard, as a portable “tablet” – albeit
| without the planned touchscreen that Elonex had to abandon to hit its £99
| price tag. Wi-fi technology lets users access the internet or swap music (and
| homework) files between computers wirelessly.
|
| [...]
|
| The secret is simple: open-source software. The One runs on Linux, which is a
| rival to Windows but completely free to use. Open-source software can be
| freely swapped or modified by anyone who wants it. In the past such operating
| systems (there are several of them) have been outgunned by the more
| sophisticated Windows programs. However, an open-source operating system is
| ideal for low-cost devices as it performs well on less powerful, cheaper
| hardware.
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/personal_tech/article3374812.ece

Low-cost laptops make PC makers mull margins

,----[ Quote ]
| “Computers have been an exception. If you look at consumer electronics, a DVD
| player was about $800 10 years ago – now they sell for $20,” she says. “The
| [computer] industry has been able to keep the price flat by focusing on
| gazillion-gigahertz machines running really bloated software and that’s
| worked for years since the IBM PC revolution.”
|
| [...]
|
| OLPC found a strong uptake for a “give one, get one” campaign it launched in
| North America in November. It discovered consumers were willing to pay $400
| for an XO – the price meant another XO would be given free to a
| developing-world child. It is now launching OLPC America to extend the cheap
| laptop concept for children in the US.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cfba14f4-cf64-11dc-854a-0000779fd2ac.html

How will Linux win the OS wars? From the bottom up!

,----[ Quote ]
| So therefore, best way to win the war of the operating systems is not to go
| after the high end market.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=352

Linux Has Won, Windows is Gone