[News] RIAA Front Used to Bully GPL Project

After Hijacking Site, Scammers Move to Seize Shareaza Trademark

,----[ Quote ]
| After taking control of Shareaza.com, imposters trying to pass themselves off
| as an open-source dev team have stepped up their action to destroy the GNU
| GPL licensed project. In an audacious move, lawyers representing Discordia
| Ltd have filed to register the “Shareaza” trademark at the US Patent Office.
|
| [...]
|
| So if it doesn’t unsettle you that some music-industry backed company has
| come in and stamped all over a GNU GPL project, took their domain name,
| passed their own software off as the real thing and threatened legal action,
| then maybe this will:
|
| On January 10th 2008, lawyers representing ‘Discordia Ltd’ filed for
| registration of the ‘Shareaza’ trademark at the United States Patent Office.
| As yet, the trademark has not been granted to them but according to staff at
| the real Shareaza project, it must be urgently contested. Discordia claim
| that the first commercial use of the Shareaza trademark was December 17 2007
| but other documentation suggests Discordia claim copyright since 1999. The
| real Shareaza project has been running since 2004.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/scammers-move-to-seize-shareaza-trademark-080302/

Related:

Conspiracy Against Shareaza and Open Letter to the Recording Industry

,----[ Quote ]
| French recording labels are suing three P2P software vendors, including
| Shareaza. They make many false claims against Shareaza in order to win in
| court. This is an open letter to them, setting the record straight and a look
| at MusicLab who now control iMesh and Bearshare, and has recently hijacked
| Shareaza.com.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/conspiracy-against-shareaza-and-open-letter-to-the-recording-industry-080102/

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20