[News] Review of a Good Firefox Derivative, Firefox for the Desktop Evolves

  • Subject: [News] Review of a Good Firefox Derivative, Firefox for the Desktop Evolves
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:06:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Review: Flock - Open Source Social Media Browser

,----[ Quote ]
| Flock is just released version 1.1 including new features like Picasa
| integration and web mail integration with Gmail and Yahoo! mail. I really
| like the inclusiveness of the Flock browser. The sidebar is very useful but
| it’s hard to be deep with every feature set such as the RSS feature and the
| Twitter integration. I think the web clipboard is very useful but there are
| other types of clipboards that are universal for all your applications are
| better tools for someone going to Where I think Flock falls down is in it’s
| resource footprint, it seems to be a little sluggish in comparison to
| Firefox. If you want fast performance and don’t care about all the other
| stuff then stick with Firefox but if you want a single tool for all your Web
| 2.0 needs you can probably save some time with Flock but you will still
| probably need some of your favorite Firefox extensions to make it meet all
| your needs.
`----

http://socializedsoftware.com/2008/03/07/review-flock-open-source-social-media-browser/

Mozilla Expands Prism Desktop Effort

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla's greatest success to date has come from its online efforts with the
| Firefox web browser.  Since at least October of last year they've been
| working on the Mozilla Prism effort to bring the online experience to the
| desktop.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/03/mozilla-expands-prism-desktop.html

Related:

Adobe Photoshop: Online Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the risks of trying to find a niche to build a startup is that
| the big guys can land on your face at any time. That?s why all of
| these startups are going to be in serious trouble when Adobe releases
| a free, ad supported online version of Photoshop in six months.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/02/28/adobe-photoshop-online-edition/

Adobe's new CEO zeroes in on Web

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: Adobe is in an interesting place right now. The company is making a
| transition from boxed software to online, "cloud" computing. Can you talk
| about that?
|
| A: We want to marry the power of the desktop with the Web.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20071205/tc_usatoday/adobesnewceozeroesinonweb

Adobe sees full shift to Web in next decade

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21359751/