[News] [Rival] Microsoft Objects to Legal Loss After Repulsive Collusion

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Objects to Legal Loss After Repulsive Collusion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 15:39:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft appeals 'Vista Capable' decision

,----[ Quote ]
| The plaintiffs allege that Microsoft deceived consumers by touting PCs
| as "Windows Vista Capable" even if they could only run Windows Vista Home
| Basic. The suit alleges that Home Basic isn't a real version of the operating
| system, because it lacks Windows Vista's signature features.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/133778.asp?source=rss

Join in. It'll cost Microsoft $billions it can hardly afford to waste, in
response to its business crimes with Intel (i.e. business as usual, since the
80s/90s of price-fixing and well-documented vendor blackmail).

Microsoft Vista Class Action

,----[ Quote ]
| In any class action suit, the court approves who will be eligible for
| participation in the class. If you feel you may qualify for damages or
| remedies that might be awarded in the Microsoft lawsuit, we request that you
| fill out the form below. Completing the form also will help ensure that you
| get court mailings or notices about the case, and will help us get in contact
| with you if necessary.
`----

http://www.gordontilden.com/contact_lawsuit.htm

Recent:

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

Software Notebook: A look back at Microsoft's e-mailbag

,----[ Quote ]
| "Today, if you e-mail things around, it's very typical for the information to
| go far and wide," the Microsoft chairman said in a 2003 address in
| Seattle. "The next thing you know, it's in the newspaper."
`----

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/353427_software03.html

E-mail: Microsoft 'botched' dealings with Intel, HP

,----[ Quote ]
| Internal Microsoft e-mails revealed through a federal class-action lawsuit
| arising from the troubled launch last year of the Windows Vista operating
| system have provided a provocative inside look at the software giant's
| machinations with Intel, HP and Dell.
|
| The e-mails include an exchange in which one senior Microsoft executive
| described dealings with computer makers as "really botched." Another manager
| complained Microsoft was "caving to Intel" and "really burning HP."
|
| The e-mails are included in 145 pages of documents unsealed by U.S. District
| Judge Marsha Pechman in Seattle late Wednesday. They include internal
| reports and some handwritten notes that offer a rare look inside at the
| famed "Wintel" partnership, and touch upon the alliance's dealings with
| Hewlett-Packard, Dell and other computer makers.
`----

http://origin.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_8417811?nclick_check=1

Microsoft knew of Vista shortcoming prior to release

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-knew-vista-shortcoming-prior/story.aspx?guid=%7B75BE59C7%2DEFA1%2D48B5%2DB4A4%2D90F5E01A52A0%7D&siteid=yhoof

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/microsoft_intel_vista_capable_emails/

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/microsoft-vista-intel-tech-ebiz-cx_wt_0228vista.html?partner=yahootix

Has Vista lost all credibility?

http://apcmag.com/8344/has_vista_lost_all_credibility

World gov'ts more aggressive on bribe probes-study

,----[ Quote ]
| Companies under investigation for violations of U.S. bribery laws will likely
| face heightened scrutiny from law enforcement officials all over the world as
| probes widen and spill across borders, a study found.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN2524801420080225?rpc=44

Intel overwhelmed by EU complaints

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/02/22/intel_barrett_eu_gripe/

,----[ Quote ]
| He alleges that the company has engaged in monopolistic conduct in the CPU
| market by “threatening, coercing, and bribing customers to refrain from
| dealing with Intel’s major competitor, Advanced Micro Devices”.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/02/21/inquirer-named-intel-writ

Microsoft, Intel and Dell: The Tech Love Triangle

,----[ Quote ]
| It is becoming well known that Microsoft have achieved their current market
| share status by making major computer manufacturers sign licensing deals, so
| as to distribute a copy of Windows with every computer sold. What many people
| don't realise, is how difficult it is to get a computer from the
| manufacturers without Windows.
|
| [...]
|
| This is first-hand experience of the power of Microsoft's monopolistic
| practices, and it really does annoy me. It seems not so long ago that I
| praised Dell for their support, but along with Microsoft, they have now lost
| a customer entirely.
|
| Needless to say, we are now looking to buy a system from a local shop with no
| OS.
`----

http://blog.raisingwaves.com/index.php?entry=entry071120-003039

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/2000/PX02663.pdf

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

U.S. DOJ joins lawsuit against HP, Sun, Accenture

,----[ Quote ]
| Suit alleges that the three companies formed an alliance with vendors
| and have been giving each other kickbacks on government contracts
| since the late 1990s.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/04/19/HNdojjoinshpsunlawsuit_1.html

Lenovo got financial help from Intel, claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Journalists on the title said Lenovo is being paid a "pretty
| penny" from Intel to use its chips.

Microsoft Shuts Down Linux 10 Years Ago Says Iowa Attorne

,----[ Quote ]
| Going back now to as early as 1998, Microsoft starts to realize that
| Linux might pose a possible threat, and Vinod Valloppillil, who is
| a program manager at Microsoft, is asked by Mr. Allchin, Jim Allchin,
| to analyze potential strategies for combatting open-source software,
| and specifically Linux.
| His memos are leaked to the press in April -- I beg your pardon --
| in October of 1998 and become known as the Halloween documents.
| And the evidence will be that Microsoft uses its influence in the
| OEM channel, the computer manufacture channel, to make sure that
| end users have a difficult time buying PCs with Linux preinstalled.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/RoundUp/Microsoft_Shuts_Down_Linux_10_Years_Ago_Says_Iowa_Attorney

Microsoft's Dirty OEM-Secret

,----[ Quote ]
| They are, in short the secret to Microsoft's success. And the word
| secret is to be taken quite literally: No OEM may talk about the
| contents of his contract, or he will lose his license, and (assumption)
| likely be sued for breach of contract as well.
`----

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/10/23/13219/110

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
| federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
| computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
| manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
|
| [...]
|
| She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
| to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
| other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
| chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1

Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?

http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+want+to+whack+Dell+over+its+Linux+dealings/2100-1014_3-6153904.html

Dell's secret Linux fling [sabotaged by Microsoft]

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/19/microsoft_killed_dell_linux_states/

Ecuador Tax Agency Closes Microsoft Branch Offices For 7 Days

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have twice requested balances, payment reports and complete tax
| information, but the company hasn't given it to us, so in accordance with our
| laws we have proceeded with the closure," the SRI official in charge of the
| proceeding said.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200710041610DOWJONESDJONLINE000810_FORTUNE5.htm

Microsoft Office raid in Hungary

,----[ Quote ]
| "Such behavior could lead to the exclusion of competitive products from
| the market and violate European Union rules, according to the authority
| known as the GVH."
`----

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/26/ap3957835.html

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

BBC Corrupted

,----[ Quote ]
| Today the BBC made it official -- they have been corrupted by Microsoft. With
| today's launch of the iPlayer, the BBC Trust has failed in its most basic of
| duties and handed over to Microsoft sole control of the on-line distribution
| of BBC programming. From today, you will need to own a Microsoft operating
| system to view BBC programming on the web. This is akin to saying you must
| own a Sony TV set to watch BBC TV. And you must accept the Digital
| Restrictions Management (DRM) that the iPlayer imposes. You simply cannot be
| allowed to be in control of your computer according to the BBC.
`----

http://defectivebydesign.org/blog/BBCcorrupted

Kickback Case: Retired Lawyer Sentenced

,----[ Quote ]