[News] Murdock: Solaris is Monolithic; Sun Wants Linux Love, Open Source Status

  • Subject: [News] Murdock: Solaris is Monolithic; Sun Wants Linux Love, Open Source Status
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 04:24:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Debian founder wants to 'reshape' OpenSolaris

,----[ Quote ]
| Solaris has always had a very monolithic structure. The basic idea behind
| Project Indiana was to take the Linux distribution model, which allows for
| very flexible and agile incorporation of open source technologies, and apply
| that same thinking to OpenSolaris, thereby pulling in more open source
| technologies.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62038656,00.htm

Enticement with cash?

Is It Just Me, Or Does Sun Comes Off As A Creepy Uncle?

,----[ Quote ]
| I got an email from a professor today asking for some input on Java and
| Solaris… 15-20 minutes of my time is not asking much… but it seems like Sun
| is the type of guy who is offering some candy from the sliding door of a
| panel van…
`----

http://www.fsckin.com/2008/01/30/is-it-just-me-or-does-sun-comes-off-as-creepy-uncle/

Same fake-ish 'open source'?

Sun Microsystems and SBTVD Forum to Develop Open-Source Java Solution for
Brazil's Digital TV System

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080304005617&newsLang=en

This one is good news though:

mooo