Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Makes Low-cost Laptops Impractical (Linux Wins)

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 08 March 2008 01:40 : \____

> Martha Adams wrote:
>
>> The low-cost laptops are out there now.  I've just bought an Asus 4G
>> also known as Model 701, it comes with a Linux in it but as you buy
>> the machine, the Linux is so dumbed-down it's useless.
>
> AFAICT it was dumbed down to please the archetypal Windows crowd, who
> apparently find Linux "too technical". Oh well, you can't please all of
> the people all of the time, I suppose.
>
>> However, I soon found how to get past that cute and decorative
>> interface to the real Linux in there, with some major help from
>> people here.
>
> You're welcome.
>
>> And it illustrates the Microsoft effect that you need ever bigger and
>> bigger hardware and software to do anything (using Windows).  *You
>> don't.*  4G of flash disk plus 512 Mb of ram (and three USB ports) is
>> *enough*.  This small Asus running Linux  will serve for years to
>> come.  Good investment.
>
> Yes indeed. A far better investment than running that same machine with
> a legacy OS like XP, which is due for retirement this summer. It makes
> one wonder why this is even an option. Will anyone be shirt-sighted
> enough to waste their money on a dead OS, I wonder?

Some say that Microsoft might have no choice but to 'fork' XP, as in have two
routes for it -- a broken one (Vista) and a maintenance release like SP3. In
any event, Linux keeps evolving very quickly. Most Microsoft customers are
still stuck with an O/S from the days I was a teenager.

Microsoft: a device for converting public ignorance into cash
Mem:    515500k total,   389536k used,   125964k free,     1636k buffers