Re: [News] Here Comes the OOXML 'Patent Tax' (Already!), OpenOffice.org Shielded

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 08 March 2008 02:42 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft releases updated Office-OpenOffice XML translator, ramps up
>> document interop efforts as ISO mulls OpenXML
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Microsoft today launched an update of its OpenXML and ODF
>> | translator for its Excel and Powerpoint applications and pledged to
>> | keep churning out more documentation to enable interoperability —
>> | and more patents to protect that IP.
>
> Isn't that an oxymoron?
>
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | Microsoft would not disclose pricing for its protocol licensing but
>> | pledged today that going forward it will be offered at a
>> | “reasonable and non discriminatory” (RAND) manner.
>
> Wait... I'm confused. Are they saying we need to /pay/ to use their
> "open" standard?

It's neither open nor a standard.  It's the same old BS from Redmond, which is
running low in terms of cash. It needs to start mooching off someone else.

Beware the Windows box spewage (more commonly known as "spam")
 03:20:03 up 43 days, 13:14,  3 users,  load average: 1.84, 1.33, 1.64