Re: [News] Jim Zemlin on Microsoft's Demise, the Rise of GNU/Linux

Linonut wrote:

> The Guardian published an outstanding article on this future fate of
> Windows titled "Why falling Flash prices threaten Microsoft." In the
> article they describe "the price differential between the basic Eee
> PC running GNU/Linux and one running Windows XP is now significant

What's even more significant is that XP is officially due for extinction
this summer, and the Vole doesn't have a viable replacement for such
low-spec hardware (or frankly for /any/ hardware).

They won't get Windows 7 out the door by this summer, in fact they
haven't even /started/ it yet, and when they do it'll likely take them
another six years ... just like Vista. Even then, Windows 7 is likely to
be even more bloated than Vista, judging by the Vole's development
trends. There's always CE, I suppose, for those who want to turn their
unstable Windows desktops into unstable Windows PDAs.

It's quite a conundrum, for sure.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8

 02:31:40 up 78 days, 7 min,  5 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.13, 0.34