[News] "Intellectual Property" Garbage Fodder Shredded to Pieces

  • Subject: [News] "Intellectual Property" Garbage Fodder Shredded to Pieces
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 07:55:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
If Intellectual Property Is Neither Intellectual, Nor Property, What Is It?

,----[ Quote ]
| The main reason why I have trouble with the "property" part isn't just the
| fact that it leads people to try to pretend it's just like tangible property,
| but because it automatically biases how people think about the concept.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080306/003240458.shtml

Fun with Analogies

,----[ Quote ]
| Copyright maximalists love to draw parallels between property rights and
| copyrights. But if we take that analogy seriously, I think it actually leads
| in some places that they aren't going to like. Our property rights system was
| not created by Congressional (or state legislative) fiat. Property rights in
| land is an organic, bottom up exercize. The job of government isn't to
| dictate what the property system should look like, but to formalize and
| reinforce the property arrangements people naturally agree to among
| themselves.
|
| The fact that our current copyright system is widely ignored and evaded is a
| sign, I think, that Congress has done a poor job of aligning the copyright
| system with ordinary individuals' sense of right and wrong. Just as squatters
| 200 years ago didn't think it was right that they be booted off land they
| cleared and brought under cultivation in favor of an absentee landowner who
| had written a check to a distant federal government, so a lot of people feel
| it's unfair to fine a woman hundreds of thousands of dollars to share a
| couple of CDs' worth of music. You might believe (as do I) that file sharing
| is unethical, just as many people believed that squatting was unethical. But
| at some point, Congress has no choice but to recognize the realities on the
| ground, just as it did with real property in the 19th century.
`----

http://www.techliberation.com/archives/043422.php

"Intellectual property" is starting to be blasted in the mainstream media as
well. It's antiquated, especially in the digital/Internet age. You can't
fine/jail a person for passing articles to colleagues via E-mail or for saving
a Web page.

Related:

"Intellectual property" is a silly euphemism

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/feb/21/intellectual.property