[News] [Rival] Microsoft is Breaking ('Extending') the Web Again

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft is Breaking ('Extending') the Web Again
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:46:02 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
'Daddy, Did You Break the Web?'

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on Microsoft's past behavior, the answer would be to control Web
| standards. But maybe Microsoft can change. Maybe it's
| so-called "Interoperability Principles" are sincere. If so, Microsoft would
| be more likely be sincere about adhering to Web standards.
|
| Given Microsoft's past behavior, I'm struggling to believe the extent of
| sincerity. Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates' infamous May 1995 Internet Tidal
| Wave memo articulated the importance of controlling Internet file formats and
| a strategy for doing so.
|
| The Internet Tidal Wave memo is the blueprint for Microsoft's product
| strategy from 1995 to present day. The strategy articulated by Gates nearly
| 13 years ago is still forefront, or was, if Microsoft's Interoperability
| Principles are a sincere change.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/web_services_browser/daddy_did_you_break_the_web.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

...Becoming more HTML-compliant while trying to phase HTML out with XAML and
other proprirtary technology like ActiveX. The EU is already looking into this
abuse against FOSS and indexers like Google.

WaSP gives browsers 'fail' grade

,----[ Quote ]
| The Web Standards Project (WaSP) has released its latest browser standards
| compliance test - Acid 3 - and every browser that WaSP tested failed. IE 8
| is, of course, not available for test yet. But given the abysmal performance
| of IE 7, Microsoft developers have a lot of work to do.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/03/05/acid_three_browser_flunk/

Related:

Microsoft's Silverlight Promises to Disrupt Linux Web Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Just as it seemed that Linux users (especially 64-bit users) would
| finally be able to enjoy streaming content with a minimum of
| hassle, Microsoft's new Silverlight software promises to throw a
| wrench in the works. Because of sites like Google Video and
| Youtube, Flash video has become a common means of streaming
| multimedia over the Internet.

Microsoft's 'Everywhere' excludes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This browser add-on enables rendering of WPF content, but
| "Everywhere" doesn't include Linux.

ECIS Accuses Microsoft of Plotting HTML Hijack

,----[ Quote ]
| An industry coalition that has represented competitors of Microsoft
| in European markets before the European Commission stepped up its
| public relations offensive this morning, this time accusing
| Microsoft of scheming to upset HTML's place in the fabric of
| the Internet with XAML, an XML-based layout lexicon for
| network applications.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/ECIS_Accuses_Microsoft_of_Plotting_HTML_Hijack/1169824569

Microsoft Shares the Love, but Not with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Shares-the-Love-But-Not-with-Linux-76929.shtml