Re: [Old News] Microsoft spams Linux community

____/ High Plains Thumper on Thursday 06 March 2008 03:04 : \____

> Old news, but still newsworthy.  It amazes me how that one OS
> manufacturer would go after competing OS users in an unethical way.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/10/28/ms_wins_big_brother_award/
>
> [quote]
> MS wins Big Brother award for Linux spam atrocity
> MS Austria execs now risk gaol in Norway...
> By John Lettice → More by this author
> Published Thursday 28th October 1999 11:03 GMT
>
> Microsoft Austria has collected the top prize in the Community
> category of the Austrian Big Brother Awards. The prize, a tacky
> looking robot thing which can be viewed here, was given for the
> company's activities in spamming Austrian Linux users with
> questionnaires. Microsoft Austria recruited G3 GMBH to handle the
> mailing. This outfit seems to have helped itself to the email
> addresses of Austrian users registered with the Linux Counter and
> then sent them the questionnaire, which asked about their views
> on the software industry, about Linux, and about their
> employment. This was in breach of the Linux Counter's copyright
> and terms of use, which specifically bar use of the data for mass
> mailings. It's also, as the Linux Counter is hosted in Norway, a
> crime under Norwegian privacy legislation. The execs from
> Microsoft Austria don't seem to have been extradited by vengeful
> nordics, but after an outcry they were forced to destroy the data
> they'd gathered.
> [/quote]

This is almost nothing compared to the bloggers Microsoft bribes nowadays, not
to mention fake reviews Microsoft shills are writing in various Web sites (on
Microsoft products).

Nothing has changed. If anything, now that Microsoft is left behind, it has
become more aggressive.

___
EU cracks down on fake blogger astroturfing

,----[ Quote ]
| But back to the web, and with sneaky marketing campaigns likely to be more
| effective than upfront marketing campaigns, what is stopping companies from
| simply risking it and continuing existing practices?
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/03/eu_flogging_ban/

Bribing Bloggers

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the most frustrating thing about the practice of giving
| bloggers free stuff: it pisses in the well, reducing the credibility
| of all blogs. I'm upset that people trust me less because of the
| behavior of other bloggers. Don't even get me started about PayPerPost.
|
| [...]
|
| Do not, under any circumstances, consider upgrading an XP system to
| Vista... even if it's fairly new and even if it's Vista Supremo
| Premium Ultra-Capable.

MSN Is Spamming The Blogosphere

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Youth LLC is a marketing firm and lists MSN as a customer.  Their
| website is here: http://www.mryouth.com/  Their phone number is
| (212) 779-8700.
|
| I've talked to a couple of other bloggers who said they are receiving
| similar comments on their blogs.  This pisses me off because MSN/Mr.
| Youth should 1) be more upfront about their true identity, and 2)
| provide a real e-mail address so that I can request they take my
| blog off their marketing campaign.
`----

http://www.scott-o-rama.com/2006/12/06/msn-is-spamming-the-blogosphere/

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
 03:20:07 up 41 days, 13:14,  3 users,  load average: 4.51, 2.89, 2.21