[News] Asian Nation Relies on European Investigation of Microsoft OOXML Corruption?

  • Subject: [News] Asian Nation Relies on European Investigation of Microsoft OOXML Corruption?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 05:32:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Final vote at the brm - catastropic failure at BRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Unrecoverable Application Error or UAE or BSOD to the nonsense ooxml stuff.
| So, some of the stuff was hand-waved through. But the end is here. We have to
| expose all the underhanded, manipulations that MS has done everywhere to buy
| votes. I am glad that the EU is investigating.
`----

http://harishpillay.livejournal.com/

Just because Microsoft is running out of money doesn't mean it's allowed to
break the law. People ought to be taken for prison for some of the briberies,
the abuse, and so forth.

This is not a far-fetched argument: Microsoft is a criminal organisation (on
the whole). It needs to be shut down.

Related:

Appeals Court Rules that Deceptive Conduct in Standard Setting can Violate
Antitrust Laws

,----[ Quote ]
| While many of us have been preoccupied with the OOXML vote, the rest of the
| world has naturally been continuing to go about its business. One piece of
| business that took an interesting turn in the last few days is a ruling by a
| Federal Appellate Court in the United States that breaks new ground in
| protecting the integrity of the standard setting system. The ruling may also
| have relevance to the regrettable conduct witnessed in the recent OOXML vote.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=2007090607324049

Danish Unix User Group Files Complaint With EU Commission Against Denmark For
Mandating MSOOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| The Danish Unix User Group, DKUUG, has filed a formal complaint with the EU
| Commission regarding Denmark's mandating ECMA 376, better known by us as
| MSOOXML, for certain procurements.
|
| The complaint [PDF] is grounded in breach of the EC Treaty article 81 on
| unfair competition. The press release says that the regulation "can be seen
| as an attempt to continue the de facto monopoly of Microsoft in the Danish
| state on office software, as the various public agencies and institutions
| need to buy the products of Microsoft to comply to the regulation."

| Pieter Hintjens, president of the Foundation for a Free Information
| Infrastructure, a non-profit organisation that is campaigning against the
| Microsoft proposal, said: "We've recorded fairly systematic manipulation of
| the voting process. We've seen what amounts to vote-buying in Italy,
| Portugal, Colombia, Spain. In Sweden and Denmark, much the same happened –
| Microsoft paying their business partners to join the vote."
`----

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=FT&Date=20070830&ID=7401878

Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
| mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
| than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
| and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
| index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
| disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below.
`----

http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

Microsoft accused of more OOXML standards fiddling

,----[ Quote ]