[News] Computers Could Transform to a 'Network' (Goodbye, 'Desktop')

  • Subject: [News] Computers Could Transform to a 'Network' (Goodbye, 'Desktop')
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 05:11:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
'The Big Switch': Welcome to the Worldwide Computer

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Nicholas Carr, author of The Big Switch and former executive
| editor of the Harvard Business Review, the revolution that's coming is based
| on the idea that the Internet, a network of computers, is becoming a gigantic
| computer itself. Not only will users be able to write programs to run on
| this "World Wide Computer," as Carr calls it, but sooner or later, this
| system will gain a level of artificial intelligence.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/reviews/61905.html?welcome=1204497442

Also the opinion of one of the executives at Sun.

Yesterday:

Enterprise Unix Roundup: Unix Heads for the Clouds

,----[ Quote ]
| And if — if — cloud computing advances to the point where we do indeed use
| devices that connect to the cloud with virtually no on-board software,
| Microsoft will be shut out of that part of the cloud, too. Its embedded OS
| has not demonstrated a real market strength or scalability. But Linux has.
|
| [...]
|
| And out on the servers and mainframes that will be serving up this cloud
| goodness? Unix, BSD, Linux ... all secure, all ready to scale for any sized
| job.
|
| Pretty scary ... for Microsoft.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3731186

Related:

Xcerion's Internet Cloud Forms Over Google and Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=R2FGBWGYKLN5OQSNDLPCKH0CJUNN2JVN?articleID=197700815&queryText=xml
http://tinyurl.com/ynkp9q