[News] Thunderbird 3.0 Feature Freeze is Near

  • Subject: [News] Thunderbird 3.0 Feature Freeze is Near
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 05:01:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mozilla shoots for quick Thunderbird 3.0 alpha

,----[ Quote ]
| "I believe that it's really worthwhile to get a release underway. Testers
| have only had nightlies for quite a while now, and the trunk is already
| notably better than [Thunderbird 2.0] in a number of ways," Mosedale
| continued. "Getting something that we're willing to recommend to a wider
| group of people is a great way to demonstrate real progress."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1167292031&rid=-50

Related:

Mozilla opens e-mail subsidiary

,----[ Quote ]
| The Mozilla Foundation Tuesday opened Mozilla Messaging, a new subsidiary
| focused on developing its free, open-source Thunderbird e-mail software.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/021908-mozilla-opens-e-mail.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0: New calendar, better search

,----[ Quote ]
| Thunderbird 3.0 is due to ship by the end of the year with a more
| comprehensive search feature and official integration of the Lightning
| calendar add-on, said David Ascher, chief executive of the newly named
| Mozilla Messaging subsidiary. The first alpha release will come sooner,
| though, for those who want to test the software.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9873385-39.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Mozilla Releases Firefox 3 Beta 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has released Firefox 3 Beta 3, the latest test version of the open
| source Internet browser.
`----

http://www.tamilstar.com/news/publish/article_5218.shtml

E-mail client Thunderbird 3 to take wing

,----[ Quote ]
| David Ascher, head of the now independent spinoff of Mozilla provisionally
| called MailCo, has presented a rough road map for the development of the
| third version of the Thunderbird open source e-mail client. In the current
| quarter, an alpha version is scheduled to be released followed by a beta
| version in the second quarter, Ascher writes in a newsgroup entry.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102637/from/rss09

10 Reasons You Should be Using Thunderbird

,----[ Gist ]
| 1. Open Source Add-ons
|
| 2. RSS Management
|
| 3. Unread Folders
|
| 4. Thunderbrowse
|
| 5. The Mozilla Foundation
|
| 6. Subject or Sender Quick Searc
|
| 7. Export Features
|
| 8. Usenet Support
|
| 9. Sort By
|
| 10. Adaptive Junk Mail Filtering
`----

http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2007/09/10-reasons-you-should-be-using-thunderbird.html

Mozilla spins off development of Thunderbird

,----[ Quote ]
| After lengthy discussions about the further development of its e-mail client
| called Thunderbird, the Mozilla foundation has founded a subsidiary company.
| Equipped with 3 million US dollars in startup capital, the subsidiary that
| will handle Thunderbird will have David Ascher at the helm.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/96145/from/rss09

Three cheers for portable Thunderbird

,----[ Quote ]
| Thunderbird is the best e-mail program for Windows users, and the portable
| version is the best version of Thunderbird.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9770471-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Mozilla keeps Eudora alive, releases new version based on Thunderbird

,----[ Quote ]
| The Eudora team might have called it quits on commercial aspirations and
| released the product as open source some time ago, but that doesn't mean you
| should get the trash bin out just yet.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/09/03/mozilla-keeps-eudora-alive-releases-new-version-based-on-thunderbird

Giving Microsoft The Bird

,----[ Quote ]
| I used to be the biggest evangelist of Microsoft. All other software was
| inferior.
|
| [...]
|
| I have been a huge Outlook user since the early days of Outlook Express.
|
| [...]
|
| The most immediate thing I?ve noticed is speed. It loads immediately, and
| responds immediately. And that is with all of my Outlook data in-tact! After
| I migrated my data I went to town with the extensions. I?ve listed them all
| below, as I found some really cool ones. My favorites are the Lightning/GCal
| add-on and the QuickFolders.
`----

http://christhis.com/archives/145/giving-microsoft-the-bird

Reviewing Features of Mozilla Thunderbird 2

,----[ Quote ]
| In case it's not obvious, extensions are basically software utility
| add-ons of varying complexity, while themes are user interface styles
| that can somewhat dramatically change the look of the application.
| Mozilla installs a single extension in Thunderbird by default-for
| error reporting-and a single, default user interface theme. I
| find the default Thunderbird theme to be pleasing and in keeping
| with the standard Firefox look and feel.
`----

http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/05/01/reviewing-features-of-thunderbird-2-reviewing-features-of-mozilla-thunderbird-2/

First look: Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| The one e-mail client that seems to still be on the rise is the
| open-source Mozilla Thunderbird, which recently hit Version 2.0.
| While it hasn't changed radically, the new release includes several
| new features, most notably for organizing and finding messages.
| In this review, we'll assess which additions are useful and
| which are fluff.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9018106&source=rss_news50

Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Though it's likely that I'll move back to Outlook full-time at some
| point (I still use it for calendaring, actually), I have to admit
| that I had intended to use Thunderbird for about a month and then
| move on, but it's proven usable and efficient. Thunderbird is an
| excellent and high-quality email solution, and while I'm guessing
| that many of the people who read this site haven't really given it
| a shot, my advice is to do so, especially if you can't get your
| hands on Outlook 2007. Thunderbird is quite a bit better than
| Windows Mail or Outlook Express, and while many Web-based email
| services have improved with Ajax/Web 2.0-based interfaces, users
| who have to manage a lot of email will be better off with a true
| email application.
`----

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/thunderbird2.asp

Thunderbird 2 Flies Ahead, Racing Web Mail

,----[ Quote ]