Re: Microsoft's Scott Guthrie Lies About/Twists "Cross-platform" to Hijack Web

____/ Miguel de Icaza on Saturday 01 March 2008 22:22 : \____

> Hello,
>
>> > Moonlight is an open source implementation of the Silverlight runtime.
>>
>> In the same way Mono is an open source implementation of (all of) .NET?
>
> In a similar way;   Mono is not an implementation of *all* of .NET, we
> implement the major features, and we try to implement what people need
> the most (we base this on the roughly the 5,000 reports that we have
> that have been provided from ISVs trying to port their software to
> Linux/BSD/MacOS/Solaris using Mono).
>
> We try to prioritize what is more important to people based on the
> above statistics.
>
> As for the features in Moonlight and Silverlight, they should be
> pretty much comparable, as part of our collaboration agreement
> includes access to the test suites to ensure that we are compatible.
> The same test suites that they use to ensure backwards compatibility
> on their own product.

Thanks, Miguel. This confirms that Moonlight is not Silverlight (and probably
never will be). Saying that Silverlight works in Linux is therefore not
correct.  Silverlight is  Silverlight. In the same vein, OOXML is Microsoft
Office (and it's not superb at all).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: just set it and forget about it
 11:05:02 up 37 days, 20:59,  3 users,  load average: 1.28, 1.41, 1.32