[News] Open Letters Ask for Open-Sourced NVIDIA, RIAA/MPAA(et al)-Free EU

  • Subject: [News] Open Letters Ask for Open-Sourced NVIDIA, RIAA/MPAA(et al)-Free EU
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 17:24:08 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OpenTheBlob.com - An Open Letter To NVIDIA

,----[ Quote ]
| We the GNU/Linux community and the undersigned, kindly request that you,
| NVIDIA Corporation, increase your efforts in better enabling the open-source
| community to develop free software drivers for your graphics hardware. Your
| major competitors in this market, AMD/ATI and Intel, have not only supported
| the community in open-source driver development efforts but they are now
| openly releasing hardware programming documentation.
`----

http://www.opentheblob.com/nvidia/index.php?signatures=normal

Tell the EU: Keep Copyright Sound!

,----[ Quote ]
| A handful of major record labels are trying to break a fifty year-old
| promise. Musicians and their fans will not be the only victims.
|
| Copyright in sound recordings currently lasts for 50 years. An independent
| review (the "Gowers review") commissioned and endorsed by the UK government
| says it should remain at 50 years. Yet the recording industry continues to
| demand that this term be extended. But term extension would be an injustice
| to European musicians and musical culture, and may harm our economy.
`----

http://www.soundcopyright.eu/

Related:

PhysX For CUDA, Linux Support A Given?

,----[ Quote ]
| CUDA has been supported under Linux from the start with their graphics driver
| now bundling the CUDA driver and version 1.1 of the CUDA Toolkit being
| supported under Fedora 7, RHEL 3/4/5, SLED 10, OpenSuSE 10, and Ubuntu 7.04
| (binary downloads).
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjMzNA

Is NVIDIA Buying AGEIA Good For Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Though with this afternoon's announcement of NVIDIA acquiring AGEIA, we
| wonder how this could impact the level of PhysX support for Linux. As NVIDIA
| actively supports a binary driver for their GeForce and Quadro products, we'd
| hope that once these GeForce+PhysX graphics cards are introduced we will find
| support within the NVIDIA Linux driver. We also hope the future bundling of
| PhysX IP into NVIDIA's GPUs won't hamper their rumored open-source strategy.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjMxOA

NVIDIA Plotting Open-Source Strategy?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to an AIB partner, NVIDIA is planning an open-source counterattack
| against ATI/AMD.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjI3NQ

Interview: The driver behind NASA's Mars Rovers

,----[ Quote ]
| It all runs on a collection of high-end Linux boxes -- nice systems, but
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| commodity PC hardware. Since 3-D visualisation is a big part of the job, the
| Linux boxes sport bonzer NVIDIA graphics cards.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;563338166;pp;1

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5jkZFIwmc-8

Lessig: Required Reading: the next 10 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet governments continue to push ahead with this idiot idea -- both Britain
| and Japan for example are considering extending existing terms. Why?
|
| The answer is a kind of corruption of the political process. Or better,
| a "corruption" of the political process. I don't mean corruption in the
| simple sense of bribery. I mean "corruption" in the sense that the
| system is so queered by the influence of money that it can't even get
| an issue as simple and clear as term extension right.
`----

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003800.shtml#003800

RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

,----[ Quote ]
| One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
| science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
| and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?"
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9821141-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Is Sarko Uxorious?

,----[ Quote ]
| What this neglects to take into account is the fact that falling into the
| public domain is a gain for the public - and hence the actual moment when it
| becomes part of the "national pop heritage" - and that the gain vastly
| outweighs any minimal effect it has on ageing rockers' royalties.
| Unfortunately, with this action, as with others (including the "three strikes
| and you're out" approach to fighting filesharing), Sarkozy shows himself to
| be an old man - however young his new wife may be.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/02/is-sarko-uxorious.html

MEPs debate tightening up lobbying rules

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://euobserver.com/9/25526