Re: Asus EEE unloading USB devices

Mark Kent wrote:

> We could use Egyptian Hieroglyphs, except that few people understand
> them any more.  Icons are no more inherently meaningful than any
> other abstraction, so have to be learnt.

Some people are just technophobic that way. My dear-old mother still has
difficulty with the remote on her combo VCR/DVD/HDD box. She'll call me
in the middle of the night to ask which button is "play". I assume that
the video navigation buttons use internationally recognised symbols that
everyone instinctively understands, but when you're 78 years old and
have alzheimer's, I guess it's not so easy.

Judging by what I've read in this thread, it seems to be a common
affliction ;)

> Looking them up in manuals is easy, just have a picture in a manual!

Oddly enough, many people find manuals equally intimidating.

I ended up writing a step-by-step diagram for using the combo-box. It
does help, but my mother still spends a few minutes each time searching
the remote ... like a novice scanning the control panel in a nuclear
power plant, and with just as much trepidation.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8

 14:00:14 up 90 days, 11:36,  4 users,  load average: 0.44, 0.16, 0.06