[News] Waugh Sucks Up to Aussie Feds

Ignore the open source hot heads, CIOs told

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the public responses to the article labelled Gibson a "bureaucratic
| parasite" and his concerns "short-sighted".
|
| While Waugh believes the open source model holds better security outcomes
| than its proprietary equivalent, he equally describes the vitriolic reaction
| to Gibson's comments as being 'disgraceful' and says they achieve nothing for
| the industry.
|
| [...]
|
| "I can tell you that at the very highest levels of government, there is
| interest and opportunities that exist for open source," Waugh said. "This
| doesn't help." Waugh was also disheartened when personal attacks were
| levelled at Standards Australia's Alistair Tegart over Microsoft's push to
| have its OOXML format accepted as an ISO standard.
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/Ignore-the-open-source-hot-heads-CIOs-told/0,339028227,339287376,00.htm

...Another person who tends not to care about briberies and kickbacks (e.g. in
OOXML) and other procurement irregularities, whether it's true or not. Also a
Novell/de Icaza apologist...

Related:

Governments slammed for anti-competitive software tendering practices

,----[ Quote ]
| A leading Australian open source advocate has called for an end for to
| tender lock-outs of competitors to Microsoft, claiming the practice
| is costing Australian taxpayers tens of millions of dollars each
| year.

Feds revise IT procurement model

,----[ Quote ]
| The federal government has launched version two of the SourceIT
| model contracts and user notes aimed at simplifying procurement of
| information technology 12 months after the first version.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=805606582&rid=-50

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html