[News] Postpath on the Advantage of GNU/Linux-based Mail Servers

  • Subject: [News] Postpath on the Advantage of GNU/Linux-based Mail Servers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:45:26 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Meeting the Needs of the Mobile Workforce without Additional IT Headaches

,----[ Quote ]
| Conclusion
| Linux-based Exchange alternatives that use the Linux file system, which is
| proven to scale reliability into multiple Petabytes, can support large, even
| bottomless mailboxes and make it possible to eliminate Outlook access in
| cached mode from laptops and desktops. When appropriate, remote access can be
| limited to Webmail access only through feature-rich Web 2.0 clients that
| offer most Outlook services without the risks associated with caching data.
| In addition, the Linux-based proxies offer a safer alternative to an
| Internet-exposed Windows server.
`----

http://www.wwpi.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3842&Itemid=44

Days ago:

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/2008-03-16-computer-botnets_N.htm

Related:

Linux-based PostPath server looking to supplant Exchange

,----[ Quote ]
| Messaging vendor PostPath has upgraded its Linux-based replica of
| Microsoft Exchange server with new capabilities to support
| migrations, faster data replication and a "bottomless" user mailbox.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/022207-linux-postpath.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Six advanced-technology open source projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source movement is fertile ground for creating advanced tools
| and technologies - all at an appealing price. We've scoured the market
| to find six open source projects that hold promise for your New Data
| Center architecture. They offer automated provisioning, intrusion
| detection, grid storage, network-attached storage, messaging for
| a service-oriented architecture (SOA) and secure telephony.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/supp/2007/ndc1/021907-ndc-best-of-open-source-tools.html

New Open Source Group to Focus on Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| The group, to be announced next week at the Open Solutions Summit in
| New York City, will likely include key open source application
| vendors CentricCRM, Adaptive Planning, SpikeSource, EnterpriseDB,
| Hypernic, OpenBravo and JasperSoft, according to an e-mail to
| internetnews.com. CentricCRM, EnterpriseDB, SpikeSource, and
| JasperSoft declined comment.

Next Gen, Mission-Critical Apps To Be Deployed on Linux Says Report

,----[ Quote ]
| By now it should be obvious to even the most casual industry observers
| that Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general -
| have reached critical marketplace mass. Recent Linux deals and
| announcements by Oracle and Microsoft have only reinforced the "open
| source is enterprise-grade" message that IBM, Unisys and other "Master
| Brand" hardware, software and services vendors have been preaching for
| years. In short, open source, especially Linux, is becoming "legitimized"
| by the major vendors for enterprise environments, and user executives
| are more than happy to believe them.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/RoundUp/Next_Gen_MissionCritical_Apps_To_Be_Deployed_on_Linux_Says_Report

CIO study finds Linux ready for prime-time

,----[ Quote ]
| The company predicts a steep rise: only 18 percent of businesses
| will be using Linux in business-critical roles by the end of 2007.
|
| "Linux operating systems - and open source-based software in general
| - have reached critical marketplace mass," said the study's authors,
| Bruce Guptill and Bill McNee of Saugatuck Research.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7681

PostPath Demonstrates Significant Advances In Email And Collaboration Server
Technology

,----[ Quote ]
| PostPath, creator of the Linux-based PostPath Email and Collaboration
| Server, will demonstrate PostPath Server 2.0 at the Gartner
| Symposium/ITXpo in Orlando. PostPath Server 2.0 is the only Exchange
| alternative to deliver drop-in enterprise compatibility at the network
| protocol level with Microsoft Outlook, Active Directory, already
| installed Exchange Servers, and other email ecosystem applications
| such as BlackBerry.
|
| [...]
|
| ...PostPath Server 2.0 provides disaster recovery out-of-the-box using
| standard Linux technologies. Specifically, PostPath Server 2.0 supports
| on and off-site server replication and hot failover using DRBD and Linux
| HA, two open-source technologies built into Linux. The result is
| significantly better reliability and reduced complexity -- business
| continuity at a vastly reduced cost.
`----

http://in.sys-con.com/read/282395_p.htm

DEMOfall'06 - PostPath Presents Breakthrough Email Technology

,----[ Quote ]
| According to PostPath CEO Duncan Greatwood, "this is the first time
| any company, outside of Microsoft, has demonstrated full, native support
| for the Exchange network protocols for email and collaboration without
| using plug-ins, connectors or making any other kind of desktop software
| changes."
`----

http://www.postpath.com/newsItems/viewFullItem$199

'Exchange killers' are successfully stalking Microsoft messaging

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, open source messaging and collaboration software providers are a
| normal part of the IT business landscape. And, according to OpenXchange
| Executive Vice President of Marketing Strategy Dan Kusnetzky, their
| products' acceptance is increasing steadily -- and not just amongh
| ard-core GNU/Linux and open source devotees.
`----

http://software.newsforge.com/software/06/08/04/1429235.shtml?tid=74&tid=138

Open-Xchange Server 5: Groupware done the OSS way

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's Domino, and Microsoft Exchange are the two big names in this
| field, with Novell Groupwise right behind them. These 800-pound gorillas
| have everything you need, but the flip side is the high costs of
| installation, and the need for experienced people to keep everything
| running smoothly.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/06/08/1356258&from=rss

Newly Developed Open Source Adapter Opens for Alternatives To Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| OMC Denmark ApS being a Danish cutting edge software and technology
| development company have after several years of development launched its
| Open Source adaptor, (BRUTUS) for Microsoft Exchange servers.
|
| With OMC Denmark's newly developed adapter "BRUTUS", the market is no
| longer tied up to Microsoft's own software. "Brutus" will enable the
| market, hereunder the public sector to choose the most optimal solutions
| for communicating with the Exchange server.

Linux-Based Email Server Maker PostPath Announces Breakthrough Email

http://www.linux.sys-con.com/read/276658_p.htm