[News] Microsoft is Behind UK Company That Sues Over Software Patents

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft is Behind UK Company That Sues Over Software Patents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:15:31 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Well, well, well... the trolling/abuse that was mentioned the other day turns
out to have roots in Microsoft. Software patents from the UK? Put the
Microsoft(R) Label on it.

Jury finds for Finjan in patent suit against Secure Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| A U.S. District Court of Delaware jury has found that Secure Computing, and
| its subsidiaries CyberGuard and Webwasher, infringed three patents that
| Finjan Software created over the past decade.
|
| [...]
|
| Finjan is partially owned by Microsoft, which purchased a non-exclusive
| worldwide license for some Finjan patents last year.
`----

http://www.scmagazineus.com/Jury-finds-for-Finjan-in-patent-suit-against-Secure-Computing/article/107933/

More from the UK:

Software patents - yet more confusion

,----[ Quote ]
| The judge drew attention to the split between the attitudes of the UK-IPO and
| the EPO, since the EPO has already allowed the patent to be granted. However,
| the UK-IPO has said that it intends to appeal, arguing that the judge failed
| to use the Aerotel/Macrossan case.
| Says the IPKat: and the EPO thinks there's no divergence of the patentability
| of computer programs as such...
`----

http://ipkitten.blogspot.com/2008/03/software-patents-yet-more-confusion.html

Patentability of computer programs - recent High Court judgment

,----[ Quote ]
| A judgment in the case of Symbian's Patent Application has been issued today
| by the High Court overturning an earlier decision of the UK Intellectual
| Property Office (UK-IPO) to refuse the application because it relates to
| nothing more than a computer program.
`----

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/press/press-release/press-release-2008/press-release-20080318.htm

Recent:

Finjan wins patent dispute against Secure Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Finjan Inc. won a patent dispute against Secure Computing Corp., with a U.S.
| District Court of Delaware jury ruling that Secure Computing should pay
| Finjan royalties for infringing on its patents. Secure Computing vows to
| appeal the decision.
`----

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid14_gci1305285,00.html?track=sy160&asrc=RSS_RSS-10_160

Linux clocks double-digit growth. Fear and loathing in Redmond

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9886843-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc