[News] OOXML is Broken, ODF Momentum Increasing

How many defects remain in OOXML?

,----[ Quote ]
| DIS 29500, Office Open XML, was submitted for Fast Track review by Ecma as
| 6,045 page specification. (After the BRM, it is now longer, maybe 7,500 pages
| or so. We don't know for sure, since the post-BRM text is not yet available
| for inspection.) Based on the original 6,045 page length, a 5-month review by
| JTC1 NB's lead to 48 defect reports by NB's, reporting a total of 3,522
| defects. Ecma responded to these defect reports with 1,027 proposals, which
| the recent BRM, mainly through the actions of one big overnight ballot,
| approved.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/03/how-many-defects-remain-in-ooxml.html

Time for ODF, which carries on spreading:

Formats vie for acceptance

,----[ Quote ]
| “Even though my law firm has historically been an Office shop, we’ve now
| incorporated converters into our IT structure so that everyone can open ODF
| files as well, due to the fact that more such files are coming our way,”
| Updegrove explained. “So there will be a different tipping point sector by
| sector, where enough calls to open a file come to the internal helpdesk that
| it just makes sense to offer the capability at the desktop.”
`----

http://www.whatpc.co.uk/itweek/analysis/2212282/formats-vie-acceptance-3889736

Been receiving just ODFs and PDFs recently, no doc's.

Recent:

Danish Unix User Group Files Complaint With EU Commission Against Denmark For
Mandating MSOOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| The Danish Unix User Group, DKUUG, has filed a formal complaint with the EU
| Commission regarding Denmark's mandating ECMA 376, better known by us as
| MSOOXML, for certain procurements.
|
| The complaint [PDF] is grounded in breach of the EC Treaty article 81 on
| unfair competition. The press release says that the regulation "can be seen
| as an attempt to continue the de facto monopoly of Microsoft in the Danish
| state on office software, as the various public agencies and institutions
| need to buy the products of Microsoft to comply to the regulation."

Microsoft’s secretive standards orgs in Former Yugoslavia

,----[ Quote ]
| Croatian laws keep its national body’s votes secret, so the only way for the
| Croatian public to find out how the process went would be if a board member
| illegally leaked information out of CSI. This is, of course, unlikely to
| happen. And the Serbian national standardization body is not officially
| formed, so those two votes were easy for Microsoft, and probably not only
| ones around the globe.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/092407-ooxml.html?page=1

Microsoft Tech Ed 2007: OpenXML

,----[ Quote ]
| He was asked "Why did Microsoft push OOXML through the "Fast Track" process
| instead of the standard ISO process? Wouldn't they get less resistance than
| faced now?"
|
| His response was very frank: "Office is a USD$10 billion revenue generator
| for the company. When ODF was made an ISO standard, Microsoft had to react
| quickly as certain governments have procurement policies which prefer ISO
| standards. Ecma and OASIS are 'international standards', but ISO is the
| international 'Gold Standard'. Microsoft therefore had to rush this standard
| through. Its a simple matter of commercial interests!"
`----            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/09/microsoft-tech-.html

Evidence of Microsoft Influencing OOXML Votes in Nordic States

,----[ Quote ]
| "This is how a standard is bought," Bosson wrote later. "I left the meeting
| in protest - pissed off."
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Evidence_of_Microsoft_Influencing_OOXML_Votes_in_Nordic_States/1188335569

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=147&a=686119

Microsoft Memo to Partners in Sweden Surfaces: Vote Yes for OOXML - Updated

,----[ Quote ]