Re: [News] Introduction to the GNU/Fiwix Operating System

____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 18 March 2008 23:54 : \____

> Linonut wrote:
>> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>>> The GNU/Fiwix Operating System
>>>
>>> http://www.osnews.com/story/4839/The_GNU_Fiwix_Operating_System
>>
>>    The Linux kernel is currently too big for a student of computer
>>    science to be able to understand its internal structure and to
>>    study how it works, and tomorrow it will be even bigger than it
>>    is today. In contrast, the Fiwix kernel, due to its minimal
>>    structure, can be the entry-level kernel and can therefore be
>>    more suitable for education. For obvious reasons, this project
>>    is only focused on students of computer science and new OS
>>    enthusiasts who want to know more about the internal operation
>>    of a UNIX-like operating system.
>
> Deja vu?
>
> [quote]
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                Linus (torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.
> [/quote]
>
> http://www.linux.org/people/linus_post.html

Heh. I use that as a reference whenever some shy developer makes an apologetic
introduction of a project. It has been quite amazing to see how WordPress, for
example, grew from nothing to the world's blogging powerhouse and engine.
Remember how Apache began (in a dorm room)? Or Google (in a garage)?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Mod me up and I'll mod you 'insightful'"