[News] Better Capitalism with the GNU GPL

The GPL is a capitalist's best friend

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPL simply protects through transparency and openness, not opacity and
| closed doors. Many of the industry's most successful open-source vendors use
| the GPL for this very reason.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9896565-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

How do peer productions and free content work out?

,----[ Quote ]
| This strategy was first used by the free software community, and later the
| emerging free culture movement took those ideals and extended them from the
| software field to the whole culture. The most commonly used software license
| is the GNU GPL. For text, especially functional works such as textbooks, the
| GNU FDL (GFDL) was developed and all of Wikipedia’s text is licensed under
| it. Both are copyleft licenses, meaning they allow redistribution of
| derivative works under the condition that this happens under the same
| license, preventing the content from becoming non-free. Also commercial
| redistribution is permitted.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/property_and_commons

Related:

Eben Moglen: Copyleft Capitalism, GPLv3 and the Future of Software Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| Today I heard the best single presentation on open-source and free software I
| have ever personally attended, in a talk by Columbia Professor of Law Eben
| Moglen, on the topic “Copyleft Capitalism: GPLv3 and the Future of Software
| Innovation.” He spoke for over 90 minutes. I understand the session was
| recorded, and I have asked that a transcript be prepared. I write the rest of
| this post based on the notes I took during his extraordinary talk.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft failed in that, as a monopoly, it has for the first time failed to
| produce a new version that will get the old version out of the market.
|
| Vista has doomed them, as Microsoft is now competing with itself, trying to
| displace Windows with Vista.
|
| He then said the real problem was to limit the damage when Microsoft fails,
| how to get “out from under” Microsoft as they enter the end game, perhaps by
| paroxisms of litigation.
|
| [...]
|
| Eben then related how he had finessed the famed “coupons” in the
| Microsoft/Novell brouhaha, describing how he had “hacked” Novell.
`----

http://daveshields.wordpress.com/2007/10/29/eben-moglen-copyleft-capitalism-gplv3-and-the-future-of-software-innovation/

MS: Dancing as fast as it can to try to get away from GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| Want to laugh? Microsoft Says It Is Not Bound by GPLv3" -- they think they
| can so declare, like an emperor, and it becomes fiat. It's not so easy.
| I gather Microsoft's lawyers have begun to discern the GPL pickle they
| are in.

GPL3 welcomed by IBM, Red Hat, Novell, MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa/GPL3-welcomed-by-IBM-Red-Hat-Novell-MySQL/0,339028227,339279403,00.htm

,----[ Quoye ]
| [Chris DiBona of Google:] The latest revision [of GPLv3] is actually pretty
| good.

[Creative Commons in Support of] GPLv3!

,----[ Quote ]
| Note that Creative Commons has always recommended the GPL and other
| free software licenses for software. We look forward to transitioning
| software we create to GPLv3.

Linux guru backs new GNU licence

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source guru Alan Cox has voiced his support for the
| controversial version 3.0 of the GNU General Public Licence
| in an exclusive podcast interview with Computer Weekly.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/05/10/223693/linux-guru-backs-new-gnu-licence.htm

The Real Meaning of GNU GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| Taken together, these different aspects underline why the release of
| the final version of the GNU GPLv3 is such a big event. Its appearance
| represents the crystallisation of major trends within the world of
| technology and business – and even beyond.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000246

Alan Cox Interview

,----[ Quote ]
| Personally I think it's a bad idea and that Novell are going to
| get stung by the GPLv3, and rightfully so. The license is designed
| to keep the software free, if it fails to do this then it needs
| fixing, so GPLv3 hopefully will fix this flaw.
`----

http://www.abclinuxu.cz/clanky/rozhovory/alan-cox?page=1

Apache, GPL License Compatibility Back On Track

,----[ Quote ]
| GPL 3 is now on track to be finalized in August. Its adoption will be
| a major milestone in the open-source industry and will force developers
| of GPL-licensed software to make choices about migrating to the new
| license or contributing to a potential schism between version 2 and
| version 3 software.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/199500038

OpenLogic survey warm on GPL 3