[News] GNUgle Claims Resistance to Recession (Unlike Legacy Software Industry)

  • Subject: [News] GNUgle Claims Resistance to Recession (Unlike Legacy Software Industry)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 22:35:26 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Schmidt: Google 'well-positioned' for a recession

,----[ Quote ]
| Google, the world's leading Internet search engine, said Tuesday it can
| weather any economic downturn because its advertisers are broad-based.
|
| Chief Executive Eric Schmidt acknowledged that a shortage of credit in
| financial markets is a "very serious issue" and that many people are
| expecting a global economic slowdown.
|
| "It's too early to say if there's (already) been any specific impact. But if
| there were, I don't think it would be much," Schmidt told reporters at a
| briefing during a visit to Sydney, Australia.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6234685.html

Linux too is set to benefit from a slowdown, which is simply caused by other
factors. People are likely to buy less expensive software and use free
Web-based services.

Quote for the day:

"The danger is that Microsoft is using strategic monopolistic pricing in the
education market, with the government’s assistance, to turn our state
university systems into private workforce training programs for Microsoft."

                                                --Nathan Newman

Related:

Sun: Economic slowdown favors open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking to ZDNetAsia in an exclusive interview, he said the economic
| slowdown in the United States will favor open source companies. "During an
| economic slowdown, not everything slows down [and] IT projects will continue
| to be undertaken. But IT budgets will be reduced," he said, noting that
| companies will then turn to lower cost software options such as open source.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62038598,00.htm

Software Firms Face Recession Ripple Effect

,----[ Quote ]
| If the economic downturn hits the information technology sector, investors in
| business software companies are probably safe for one more quarter of
| earnings reports.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/techstockupdate/10403419.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&amp;cm_cat=FREE&amp;cm_ite=NA
http://tinyurl.com/35tfgn

Forrester cuts tech outlook on U.S. recession risk

,----[ Quote ]
| Technology research firm Forrester Research Inc cut its forecast for 2008
| global technology purchasing growth by a third on Sunday, citing the risks of
| a U.S. recession
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN0848701220080211?rpc=44

Forrester, IDC cut tech outlook on US recession risk

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idCAN1165370220080211?rpc=44

Recession fears could end bull market

,----[ Quote ]
`----