Re: [News] Microsoft Drops Support and Demonstrates Why Proprietary Software Fails

> Microsoft ditches support for Money
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Microsoft has dropped support for Money 2005 and described it as "obsolete" -
>| even though the company claims it's still good enough for UK users.
>|
>| In our online banking feature in this month's PC Pro we described "Money as a
>| little unloved at Microsoft" after the company failed to issue a new UK
>| version in three years, despite a US release just last year.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/178854/microsoft-ditches-support-for-money.html
>
> Good luck to people whose finances are tied to binary blob which isn't
> maintained anymore.

This sums up the problems with lock-in.  Using a proprietary package of
any kind risks precisely this problem at some indeterminate point in the
future.  Whilst it's true that legacy environment libraries and
emulators like dosbox and wine can help to a point, they will not be
remotely helpful in getting updates and fixes made to such things
anyway.

Microsoft are, in order to save money, reducing their "portfolio" of
"free" applications in Windows.  This will, in due course, bring
something which looks a little more like competition in the windows
applications space, but it's too late now to stop the rise of the linux
machine, even if it could ever have been stopped (it's hard to compete
with free).