[News] [Rival] InfoWorld Slams Vista With Series of New Articles

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] InfoWorld Slams Vista With Series of New Articles
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 05:04:39 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Was Vista DOA?

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent survey of IT shops shows that over 70 percent of respondents will
| still be using their 'current OS' in 2009, Kennedy explains.
|
| "Since the overwhelming majority (92 percent) of these sites are still
| running Windows XP, that means that Vista will likely never achieve critical
| mass in the enterprise."
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/daily/archives/2008/03/was_vista_doa.html?source=rss

There are several other articles there, including one which says that XP (2001)
is better than Vista (2007) and that 100,000 people have so far signed their
petition to save XP.

Clearly, Microsoft has no immediately solution in this case (can't fix a whole
platform overnight), so it will bully and sabotage its rival's 'camp'.

Related:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Vista to Ubuntu (100%)

,----[ Quote ]
| I had enough with eating crap with Vista. My last line of patience warned off
| when I happened to wait about 5 seconds when changing from one MS Doc file to
| another and also happened that I was running with time to finish a project
| report. No, I’m not running on 256 ram, it’s 1 GB and this kind of a time
| wastage is totally unacceptable. You may ask why I put up with Vista in the
| first place. That’s thanks to HP’s decision to embrace Vista so my laptop was
| pre-built with Vista and no chance to downgrade because there are no drivers.
| So where to go now ? Easy….Gutsy.
|
| [...]
|
| But my worries were groundless as Wine now supports Macromedia 8 series like
| a babe. Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash all works perfectly with Wine -
| installation to Execution. Another great thing with Gutsy is that my Broadcom
| network card support is inbuilt and with some additional applications I can
| search networks and connect to them like a charm. Also I’m using AWN manager
| to manage desktop (here is a great article on desktop styling - thanks to
| Lakshan) and now it looks like a hybrid between Leopard and Vista. So what
| else I can ask for ?
`----

http://luckycala.wordpress.com/2007/12/16/vista-to-ubuntu-100/

Prediction: Linux will Eat Microsoft on Most Desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, compare that to a $500.00 desktop running Linux and OpenSource
| applicaitons. That would be about $50,000. The difference? Two or three
| employees, a huge bonus, a couple of vehicles, whatever. Not small.
`----

http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2007/12/prediction_linux_will_eat_micr.php

Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and dual-core
| processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less?
|
| [...]
|
| The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger of
| change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand so much
| when the market wants so little.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/microsofts_big_problem_in_a_small_box.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/2sg6xy

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the same
| time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is at such a
| tipping point right now and the result will be millions of Linux-powered PCs
| in users' hands.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to the
| point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And Windows
| XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever wanted it to.
| Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom, where Microsoft can
| no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally cut itself a large slice
| of the desktop market pie.

Ubuntu Linux vs Windows Vista: The Desktop Battle

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://polishlinux.org/linux/ubuntu/ubuntu-linux-vs-windows-vista-the-desktop-battle/

,----[ Quote ]
|   From:        "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
|   Newsgroups:   comp.os.linux.advocacy
|   Subject:      Re: Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 (etch) released
|   Date:         Sun, 08 Apr 2007 17:09:54 +0100
|
| > http://www.debian.org/News/2007/20070408
|
| Here's some interesting comparisons between Debian Etch and Vista:
|
| Project Life-cycle:
|  . Debian - 1.75 years (Etch)
|  . Vista  - 5.50 years
|
| Supported Architectures:
|  . Debian - Sparc, Alpha, PowerPC, i386, ia64, PA-RISC, MIPS, ARM, IBM
|             S/390, AMD64 and Intel EM64T. (Older custom versions for the
|             Motorola MC68K series)
|  . Vista  - Technically ... none, since it doesn't really work.
|
| Available Desktop Environments / Window Managers:
|  . Debian - 3D-Desktop, 4dwm, 5Dwm, 9wm, aewm, AfterStep, amiwm,
|             Blackbox, Compiz/Beryl, CTWM, dwm, EDE (Equinox),
|             Enlightenment, EvilPoison, evilwm, Fluxbox, foXdesktop,
|             FVWM, FVWM95, FVWM-Crystal, Gnome, hackedbox, HaZe, IceWM,
|             Ion, JD4X (Java Desktop), JWM, Kahakai, KDE, KWin, Larswm,
|             Luminocity, LWM, Matchbox, Metacity, Metisse, MWM (Motif),
|             OLWM/OLVWM, Openbox, Orion, Oroborus, PekWM, PLWM, PWM,
|             Qvwm, ratpoison, ROX, Sawfish, Scwm, Stumpwm, swm, The GREAT
|             Desktop, TrsWM, twm, UDE, uwm, Waimea, WindowLab, Window
|             Maker, wm2, WMI, wmii, XD640, XFCE, Xfwm, XPde, XPwm, XWEM
| . Vista   - Aero
|
| Price:
|  . Debian -   £0.00
|  . Vista  - £187.48 (Home Premium - a.k.a. The "real" version) [Amazon]
|
| License:
|  . Debian - Mainly GPL/LGPL. Full sources available at no cost.
|  . Vista  - Proprietary. SDKs only. (Limited Sources available to select
|             partners and government agencies).
|
| Role/Deployment:
|  . Debian - Server, Desktop, Media Centre, Office, Cluster /
|             Supercomputing, Any Purpose.
|  . Vista  - Experimental Desktop, Toy, Practical Joke.

|              in the open source world. Debian is traditionally a
|              distribution of developers that connect with each other and
|              with users via email or IRC. Developers respond to bug
|              reports promptly. Several mailing lists in all supported
|              languages have high traffic and people that like to help.
|              If you're in a hurry, you can join the #debian IRC channel
|              on the freenode network. You can even pay for support if
|              you want to; debian.org has a list of companies that will
|              take your money and answer your questions.
|
|              Debian is the most truly community-driven distribution,
|              proud of its GNU name. It supports lots of platforms, and
|              its software quality assurance is excellent. Security flaws
|              are fixed in the Etch repositories quickly. With mirrors
|              all around the world, installation of new packages is
|              quick. Even if any single Linux company disappears, Debian
|              will remain intact -- as my desktop OS."
|               - http://tinyurl.com/yqg3cq (newsforge.com)
|
|  . Vista  -  "I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating
|               system, which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately
> [...]
`----

Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Windows-Vista-Sold-but-not-deployed/0,130061733,339284495,00.htm

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

| Lenovo.

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579

Ugly view mars Windows Vista birthday

,----[ Quote ]
| According to latest data from NPD, Microsoft is shipping fewer boxed copies
| of Windows Vista than it did Windows XP at the same point in the operating
| systems' lifecycles.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/11/30/vista_birthday/

The Vista Death Watch

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has extended the life of Windows XP because Vista has simply not
| shown any life in the market. We have to begin to ask ourselves if we are
| really looking at Windows Me/2007, destined to be a disdained flop. By all
| estimates the number of Vista installations hovers around the number of Macs
| in use.
|
| How did this happen? And what’s going to happen next? Does Microsoft have a
| Plan B? A number of possibilities come to mind, and these things must be
| considered by the company itself.
`----

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2209837,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000584

Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
| experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have the
| visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days) I've
| created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site.
`----

http://jaxed.org/lenovo-offers-downgrade-from-windows-vista-to-windows-xp.blog

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's latest version of Windows is too risky to implement for the
| important computers managing the 2008 Olympic summer games in Beijing, said
| the event's computer supplier and sponsor Lenovo.
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/08/08/no.vista.on.olympic.pcs/

DSG continues retailer woes

,----[ Quote ]
| DSG, the company formerly known as Dixons, became the latest British retailer
| to report a drop in profits for the summer months today. But it wasn’t all
| down to the rotten weather – this time it was also Microsoft’s fault.
`----

http://www.managementtoday.co.uk/newsalerts/article/748756/dsg-continues-retailer-woes/

Dell casts doubts on Vista

,----[ Quote ]