[News] GNU/Linux for Triumph of Libre Software, Not Share/Money

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux for Triumph of Libre Software, Not Share/Money
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 02:48:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux in the Mainstream: Why Does It Matter?

,----[ Quote ]
| "I firmly believe that aside from being free software, GNU/Linux offers very
| few advantages over its restrictive counterparts (Windows and Mac OS,
| specifically)," Dean explained.
|
| "When people discuss 'mass market' or 'Linux adoption,' it's typically based
| on the desire for support for non-free software," he added.
|
| For most people, "support" means mainstream software publishers like Adobe
| releasing Photoshop that runs on GNU/Linux natively, he explained. But "the
| addition of non-free software to the GNU/Linux ecosystem is actually harmful
| to the very values that we associate with Linux," he said.
|
| Instead, the Linux community "should advocate Free Software adoption," Dean
| said. "In my nearly half decade as a part of that community, I've never heard
| someone say, 'That's free software, so I will not use it.'
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/62142.html?welcome=1205796725

Wine is revising its 1.0 milestone again.

Yesterday:

Open source: world domination or world liberation?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9895063-16.html