[News] Salesforce CEO Slams Microsoft, Calls it a "Dinosaur", GPL Comes to Salesforce

  • Subject: [News] Salesforce CEO Slams Microsoft, Calls it a "Dinosaur", GPL Comes to Salesforce
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 02:44:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Marc Benioff taunts the awakened dinosaurs

,----[ Quote ]
| Following is part of the exchange, where I asked Benioff for his thoughts on
| Microsoft. He has called Microsoft a dinosaur, incapable of innovation, and a
| monopolist.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13953_3-9895987-80.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

The GPL meanwhile makes its entry into Salesforce...

XAware Open Source Data Integration Plug-in for Salesforce Now Available on the
AppExchange

,----[ Quote ]
| Available to all developers under an open source GPL v2 license, XAware
| enhances the productivity of other development tools and frameworks by
| building composite data services. These services provide real-time access to
| information and the ability to abstract, transform, aggregate and mashup
| data. Developers use XAware capabilities to create a services-based data
| virtualization layer, which delivers a single view of data that can be
| consumed or served up easily.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080317005174&newsLang=en

Related:

Salesforce says it's beating, mirroring Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| While dismissing Microsoft's announced move into Salesforce's
| on-demand software turf, Benioff also said that his firm is akin
| to Microsoft back when that company's marquee product was the
| DOS operating system.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/salesforce-says-its-beating-mirroring/story.aspx?guid=%7BA7713533%2D8E00%2D4506%2DA0EA%2D525F1935AAA7%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/3d72ov

Google, Salesforce.com partner on Web site

,----[ Quote ]
| Salesforce.com and Google launched a Web site on Tuesday that is designed
| to allow the online customer relationship management software maker to
| act as a reseller for Google's AdWords.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6188670.html

Salesforce get another Open Source Plug-in

,----[ Quote ]
| Jasper4Salesforce delivers easy access to advanced reporting by building
| on top of the AppExchange on-demand platform to integrate the one of the
| more popular open source reporting solution into the Salesforce suite
| of applications.
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=181

JasperSoft's Market-Leading Open Source Reporting Solution Now Available On
salesforce.com's AppExchange

,----[ Quote ]
| "Jasper4Salesforce provides customers with a market-leading open
| source business intelligence solution that's been proven in tens of
| thousands of deployments."
`----

http://www.jaspersoft.com/nw_press_jaspersoft_appexchange.html

Marketing hype aside, Apex is Salesforce.com's response to open source.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2006/10/salesforcecom_g.html