[News] GNU/Linux in Macedonia as Example of Low-cost and Low-power Computing

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux in Macedonia as Example of Low-cost and Low-power Computing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 05:36:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Poor nations gain more choices in computing

,----[ Quote ]
| The NComputing system cuts costs tremendously. The cost per child of each
| NComputing system, for seven users, is $70 each, in a system running at just
| 1 watt per user.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/15/AR2008031502051.html

Latest SEC filing from Microsoft:

http://www.  microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

“A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system...
To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline. ”

Microsoft CTO seeking a loan:

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal
http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

Related:

The Ministry of Finance in the Republic of Macedonia uses Debian GNU Linux in
its servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Miroslav Jovanovic, former head of Macedonian Ministry of Finance IT
| department, gave an overview of the Open Source utilisation at desktops and
| servers during a conference organized by the United Nations Development
| Programme at the capital Skopje in 2007.
`----

http://times.debian.net/1221

OLPC in Macedonia

,----[ Quote ]
| Two months ago UNDP started a project with OLPC in Macedonia. Two classrooms
| were set up with 25 laptops each in early September when the school year
| begun. The news about the project were made available to the public last week
| when a major newspaper printed a story about the project.
`----

http://mkvoice.blogspot.com/2007/11/olpc-in-macedonia.html

Dumb terminals provide smart solution

,----[ Quote ]
| Thin client technology is not new - it has been used widely in banking and
| sectors which want to avoid placing sensitive information on individual PCs.
|
| NComputing has also been deploying its technology in factories where
| operating conditions are not suitable for ordinary PCs.

Macedonia: A New Sun of Linux Freedom Rises

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/newss/6438/1/

,----[ Quote ]
| A batch of 7,000 PCs with Ubuntu Linux have been sent to Macedonian schools,
| the first of a collection that Ubuntu sponsor Canonical expects will reach
| 20,000.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9819344-39.html

All Macedonian students to use Linux desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| NComputing announced this week that its multi-user virtual desktop software
| and low-cost virtual PC terminals will be used to equip every school child in
| the Republic of Macedonia, formerly part of Yugoslavia, with a Linux desktop.

Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
| Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
| software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
| stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
| significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software.
`----

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007%2F09%2F14%2F266177

One Laptop Per Macedonian Child

,----[ Quote ]
| I am Novica Nakov of Free Software Macedonia and the Macedonian
| Government announced a project about computers in education in
| December 2006. The ambitious project "Computer for every student"
| is now under way.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/sales_talk/countries/one_laptop_per_macedonian_child.html

Municipality of Makedonska Kamenica Migrated to OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| As a result of the training for OpenOffice.org conducted by
| Metamorphosis Foundation and USAID?s project for successful
| decentralization - Make Decentralization Work Project for employees
| of the Macedonia's local self-government units, municipality of
| Makedonska Kamenica started to actively use OpenOffice.org on
| all computers in the municipality.
`----

http://www.metamorphosis.org.mk/content/view/849/4/lang,en/

Macedonia: Employees from 22 Municipalities Trained to Use OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| Representatives of the following municipalities attended the training
| (municipalities with blue colour on the map): Arachinovo, Berovo,
| Bogovinje, Valandovo, Vinica, Dojran, Zhelino, Karbinci, Kratovo, Krushevo,
| Lipkovo, Mavrovo and Rostushe, Makedonska Kamenica, Mogila, Novaci, Novo
| Selo, Plasnica, Saraj, Sopishte, Studenichani, Tearce and Centar Zhupa.
`----

http://www.metamorphosis.org.mk/content/view/830/26/lang,en/

OpenOffice.org Training for Local Self-government Units in Macedonia

,----[ Quote ]
| About 100 employees in 25 Macedonian municipalities will be trained
| during the six day training.
`----

http://www.metamorphosis.org.mk/content/view/825/4/lang,en/

(Macedonia) Announcement: Citizens Have the Right to Choose

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.metamorphosis.org.mk/content/view/818/1/lang,en/