[News] Big Numbers in Open Source Software Business, Running Linux

  • Subject: [News] Big Numbers in Open Source Software Business, Running Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 11:49:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open source database maker to come charging hard in RP

,----[ Quote ]
| A growing loyal local client base has forced MySQL, arguably the world’s most
| popular open source database software with over 100 million downloads made
| throughout its history, to invade local shores by appointing a local
| distributor which will also act as the authorized Philippine MySQL education
| center.
|
| [...]
|
| "The first wave of adoption has been with Linux at the level operating
| system. The second wave is now with MySQL at the database level," said
| Stefonic, who’s currently based in Tokyo, Japan.
`----

http://www.mb.com.ph/INFO20080314119358.html

'Just' 100,000,000? But Microsoft will insist that nobody /buys/ MySQL.

Fonality Hits 2.6 Million trixbox Downloads and 5,000 PBXtra Deployments

,----[ Quote ]
| “We’ve hit the 225 million call threshold and have proven that Fonality can
| scale with the market opportunity,” said Chris Lyman, Fonality CEO. “We are
| on track to serve a broad segment of the 35 million small businesses that
| will adopt VoIP over the next several years.”
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/fonality-hits-26-million-trixbox-downloads-and-5000-pbxtra-deployments,314099.shtml

Open source tech firm moves into US

,----[ Quote ]
| According to consultancy Deloitte Hippo is one of the fastest growing tech
| firms in the Netherlands and booked a 500% rise in turnover between 2002 and
| 2006. Its clients include ABN Amro bank, motoring organisation ANWB,
| publisher SDU en the finance ministry.
|
| Hippo is already active in the UK, Belgium and Italy via partnerships.
`----

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2008/03/open_source_tech_firm_moves_in.php

"500% rise in turnover". Not bad.

Earlier today:

The Total Growth of Open Source [is Exponential]

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.riehle.org/publications/2008/the-total-growth-of-open-source/