Re: [News] Google's Linux-based Android Seen as Major Part of the Future

____/ 7 on Thursday 13 March 2008 22:47 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Open Networks, Open Platforms Seen As Mobile Industry's Future
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Google's Android operating system and VoIP applications like Skype will
>> | be major contributors, a panel of communications experts predicts.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news
> showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206903247&subSection=News
>

> Why do they rant its Linux when the apps are not native Linux
> applications?
>
> The future of mobile is going to happen ONLY with
> Linux and Linux based telephony applications with standard
> PC developer systems like gcc, gtk / kde.
>
> The longer they resist the more time and money they loose.

Apple will try to do its thing with overpriced (tied to carrier) phones that
are 'open' only in the sense that they allow 'third-party' programs to be
added.

Google, unlike Apple, has the advertisement (lower cost) and network (spectrum)
advantage.

Android is one of the reasons Microsoft is worried not only about Google, but
also about Linux. Linux is an /enabler/... to Google, to IBM and to just about
any company that wants to build itself up independently from Microsoft.

"I feel we are much too smug in dealing with Novell. Perhaps they didn’t hurt
us in DOS yet — but it’s not because of product or their trying. It’s because
we already had the OEMs wrapped up."

                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft