Re: [News] Wal-Mart-Microsoft Ties, Well-orchestrated Media FUD

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:17:22 -0400, Linonut wrote:

> * Charlie Wilkes peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> I sometimes get frustrated about the situation with Ubuntu.  On the one
>> hand, it is an excellent OS, more stable than Windows, faster on
>> comparable hardware, and with a better UI.  But when I run across a
>> broken driver in the repository, that _wasn't_ broken in the previous
>> version, it gives me pause...
>
> Well, Windows updates that break things give me pause, too.

Sure.  Windows can be frustrating... but there is the huge MS support
database, usually an OEM you can call if it's a new machine, and lots of
people around who are familiar with Windows and its foibles.
Troubleshooting Linux can put one in touch with some very interesting
people, but it is a hit-or-miss process, and it might take some skill
with a search engine.

> With Debian Lenny, I've noticed little changes and minor glitches now
> and again as I do updates (usually do them every other day or so). I
> don't use apt to update the kernel or nvidia stuff, I prefer doing that
> manually.  So I've avoided those issues.  However, genisoimage 1.1.6 has
> a bug in Joliet (a Windows extension) support, so I've got it held at
> 1.1.2, and the repository is /still/ at 1.1.6.
>
> One other gotcha.  My VM stopped working one day.  After a good search,
> found out that my /var was full.  Found about 6 Gb of old Deb packages
> in /var/cache/apt/archives.  Multiple versions of each package.
>
> I imagine Ubuntu auto-purges them.  (?)

I don't think so, but I do it manually.

Charlie