Re: [News] A Look at GTK+ 3.0, Novell Unleashes Poison Factory

____/ Peter Köhlmann on Thursday 13 March 2008 07:38 : \____

> Rick wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:49:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> GTK+ 3.0: Getting serious.
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> ToolKit”, | it is now used in a plethora of applications. In fact, GTK+
>>> is very popular. | GNOME, one of the leading desktop environment on Unix
>>> systems, uses GTK+ | almost exclusively. The Gimp is built upon GTK+, of
>>> course. And there are | many commercial software developers like Adobe,
>>> NVidia and VMware that | decided to use it as a base for their products.
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://federkiel.wordpress.com/2008/03/12/gtk-30-getting-serious/
>>
>> Yeah, it is a shame KDE isn't built on gtk+.
>
> Why? GTK is, compared to KDEs infrastructure, a total mess.
> Have you ever looked with a programmers eye on both toolkits?
> KDE is vastly superior in that regard
>
>> I prefer KDE to Gnome, but generally use gtk apps.
>>
> Again, why? There are few which don't have  a good KDE counterpart.
> Granted, it makes no real difference for a user if he uses KDE or Gnome (as
> seen from the apps). If a Gnome/GTK app is run under KDE, it still runs
> just as well as if run under Gnome.

I've developed in both GTK and Qt. GTK is all right. How extensive is your
hands-on experience with GTK?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle
 08:05:02 up 48 days, 17:59,  5 users,  load average: 1.66, 2.50, 2.59