[News] New Frugalware (Linux) Released, A Look at the Latest Knoppix

  • Subject: [News] New Frugalware (Linux) Released, A Look at the Latest Knoppix
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:04:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Frugalware 0.8 (Kalgan) for i686 released

,----[ Quote ]
| The Frugalware Developer Team is pleased to announce the immediate
| availability of Frugalware 0.8, our eighth stable release.
`----

http://frugalware.org/news/91

First Look: KNOPPIX 5.3.0 - At CeBIT 2008!

,----[ Quote ]
| Knoppix 5.3, after pausing for a year, was presented at CeBIT, in Hannover,
| Germany. Our colleagues were there, and got the DVD live-edition that's
| available with the German c't magazine during the event. The Open Source
| Audio-Desktop ADRIANE – which is a part of the live distro – was presented by
| Adriane and Klaus Knopper at CeBIT.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Look-KNOPPIX-5-3-0-80626.shtml

"Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. And there is a
lot of work being done to improve it in and of itself, particularly to make it
easier to use and easier for people to set up on their personal computers."

                         --Paul Maritz, top executive at Microsoft

Related:

Frugalware 0.7 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Frugalware has a mission, and a really good mission. It works just great out
| of the box. There are a few hick-ups (like the installer bug and some minor
| crashes) but Frugalware is very well on track. It looks awesome, maybe a
| trend-setter in look-and-feel for linux. This is a distribution to look for
| in coming time.
`----

http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/12/frugalware-07-review.html

Skipping Frugalware 0.6 in 5 minutes

,----[ Quote ]
| I was really curious to try the new Frugalware 0.6 (Terminus), to
| see what's new. I downloaded the small netinstall ISO (35 MB), and
| it really worked.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2685

Frugalware 0.6 (Terminus) for i686 and x86_64 released

,----[ Quote ]
| The Frugalware Developer Team is pleased to announce the
| immediate availability of Frugalware 0.6, our sixth stable release.
`----

http://frugalware.org/news/57

Review: Frugalware 0.5 (Siwenna)

,----[ Summary ]
| Frugalware is a good option for intermediate and advanced
| users. It's not as good for the newcomers since there are
| not as many graphical wizards as found in openSUSE or
| Mandriva. On the other hand, the system is fast and simple,
| offers a great package manager, large software repository
| and decent multimedia support. What I missed the most is a
| local community (not existent, yet) of the distribution and
| a bit more well-thought packages (e.g. more modular
| approach to packaging KDE and other large apps). All in
| all, Frugalware is a very nice distro and it is really a
| fine choice for power user?s desktop.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/linux/frugalware/review-frugalware-0-5-siwenna/

Parallel Knoppix 2.8 has been released

,----[ Quote ]
| ParallelKnoppix is a remastered edition of KNOPPIX that allows setting up a
| cluster of machines for parallel processing using the LAM-MPI and/or MPICH
| implementations of MPI. Getting the cluster up and running takes less than 15
| minutes, if the machines have PXE network cards. Starting from version 2.2,
| the distribution is based on Debian's unstable branch, rather than KNOPPIX.
`----

http://linuxmini.blogspot.com/2007/11/parallel-knoppix-28-has-been-released.html

mysettopbox.tv

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm happy to annouce the release of KnoppMyth R5F27.  R5F27 includes the
| latest version of MythTV 0.20.2-fixes, in addition to other goodies that
| you've come to expect from KnoppMyth.
`----

http://mysettopbox.tv/

Who needs Windows Vista when you can have Knoppix 5.1.1 Live DVD?

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, in the first place there is no comparison between the two.
| In fact, there can't be any. Why? Simply because, Windows Vista
| is plain Operating system, with very little bundled apps. Whereas,
| Knoppix is complete Operating System bundled with hundreds of
| software that ranges from games to office!
|
| When you install Windows Vista (it requires whopping 6.7GB hard
| disk space at a bare minimum!), what you will get is - much hyped
| 3D aqua Desktop, a so-called secure operating system that bugs you
| to hell - by asking for every stupid task to Continue. In addition
| to that, It had about a dozen utilities such as paint, notepad,
| wordpad and a few games.
`----

http://raviratlami1.blogspot.com/2007/03/who-needs-windows-vista-when-you-can.html

Free Operating System For Blind: Adriane Knoppix

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fullnews.asp?edid=17094