Re: [News] Gnash Reaches Beta, Can Play MSBBC's Broken Media

> ____/ [H]omer on Monday 10 March 2008 08:53 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> [...]
>>
>> These are DRM-free MP4 files (I just tried it, and it works).
>>
>> But wait, I'm confused ... this is now the /second/ "unprotected" format
>> that the MSBBC has used to publish media that their content providers
>> /insisted/ *must* be protected with DRM.
>>
>> Someone at the MSBBC has been telling porkies ... again.
>>
>> So now that they've well established this content can indeed be
>> published to the Web completely en clair, presumably we can expect them
>> to offer direct links to Theora and/or Dirac downloads of that same
>> content, for the benefit of those MSBBC tax payers who have no wish to
>> support their convicted monopolist business partner, Microsoft.
>>
>> Perhaps Dr. John Pugh MP could ask Mark Thomson for clarification, as
>> there's obviously some confusion at the MSBBC about what their policies
>> are supposed to be.
>
> I got an E-mail some hours ago. The EU investigates such abuses and it might
> pick the MSBBC as its scapegoat, to show others how its done.
>
> Watch out, Erik Huggers and Ashley Highfield... :-S

The BBC needs further investigation from all kinds of angles.  We need Dr
Pugh to have another stab at Mark Thomson in order to explain why DRM is
not needed, except when it is, (what happened to our list of questions?).
ISPs generally would surely like to know why the BBC dropped a mass-market
P2P system on them with virtually no controls or management - essentially,
they've created a bandwidth hogging bot-net which might well put some
ISPs out of business.

The distribution of mp4 files to iPhones - well, what can you say...
has Ashley Highfield ever been honest about anything?