Re: What's wrong with the Russian cow analogy?

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 11 March 2008 14:05 : \____

> Ramon F Herrera <ramon@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>>
>> "Two members of the technical committee tasked with setting the
>> national position on a pivotal vote said the States will retain its
>> "Approve" position in a vote to make Open XML (all resources) a
>> standard at the International Organization for Standards (ISO).
>>
>> The chair of the committee, Patrick Durusau, who is also the editor of
>> the rival OpenDocument standard, said that the controversy surrounding
>> Microsoft's Open XML standards bid is being fueled by an irrational
>> anti-Microsoft sentiment."
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8198&tag=nl.e550
>>

> Err, the ODF is not a rival standard, it's *the* standard.  OOXML is not
> necessary at all - we /already have/ ODF.  Microsoft are welcome to use
> it.

Exactly. To use an analogy here, ODF is decimal and OOXML is
MS-hexa-pseudo-decimal. It's not necessary. It's spurious, messy and it's
vendor-specific.

Maths applied to numbers is like logic applied to statistics. Statistics are
lies.
Tasks: 133 total,   1 running, 132 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie