[News] [Rival] Yahoo Keeps Moving Beyond Microsoft, Which Failed to Derail Google Takeover

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Yahoo Keeps Moving Beyond Microsoft, Which Failed to Derail Google Takeover
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:54:15 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
LiveDeal Signs Long-Term Deal With Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| LiveDeal Inc. said Monday it signed a long-term deal with struggling Internet
| pioneer Yahoo Inc. for sponsored search results that will be displayed on its
| classifieds and yellow pages Web sites.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080310/yahoo_livedeal.html?.v=1

EC approval of Google-DoubleClick deal near

,----[ Quote ]
| European regulators are expected to clear Google’s $3.1 billion purchase of
| online ad company DoubleClick, as early as Tuesday.
`----

http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/03/10/eu-approval-of-google-doubleclick-deal-near/?source=yahoo_quote

Another useless search of identity (money throwaway because it's Java-based and
it intersects with/antagonises Microsoft's existing products):

Microsoft's Danger Buy Gets Antitrust OK

,----[ Quote ]
| Federal antitrust regulators have cleared Microsoft Corp.'s acquisition of
| Danger Inc., which develops software for mobile phones, a government agency
| said Monday.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080310/microsoft_antitrust.html?.v=1

"Fucking Eric Schmidt is a fucking pussy. I’m going to fucking bury that guy, I
have done it before, and I will do it again. I’m going to fucking kill Google."

                                        --Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO

Recent:

Microsoft CEO says catching Google is goal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp Chief Executive Steve Ballmer pledged on Thursday he will gain
| share against Google Inc  in online advertising and Web searching even if it
| is in his "last breath" at the company.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNews/idUSN0653295920080306

Related:

Microsoft's Last Big Beat: Internet Domination or Death

,----[ Quote ]
| What can $44.6B USD mean? Well, for Microsoft (MSFT) it may mean the cost of
| survival.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/63876-microsoft-s-last-big-beat-internet-domination-or-death?source=yahoo

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

Microsoft's DreamSpark – What a Giveaway

,----[ Quote ]
| The rest of the $44.6bn (£22.3bn) deal would be financed with an undisclosed
| amount of credit.
|
| What that means is that it must squeeze as much money as it can from its
| operations to fund that debt and still pay dividends to shareholders, who
| will be looking for some payback from the Yahoo takeover. Giving away
| software is the last thing it would want to do in these circumstances, and
| the DreamSpark announcement shows just how worried it is about the future.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/microsofts-dreamspark-%E2%80%93-what-giveaway

Debt in Disguise

,----[ Quote ]
| The purpose of securitization is to make the credit rating of the company
| practically irrelevant in a financing, so that even in a bankruptcy the
| receivables cash flow will be protected....
|
| The rating agencies also rely greatly on legal constructs that say the
| payment stream to investors will not be hindered. For instance, the transfer
| of receivables to the SPE must be a "true sale." That is, the seller must not
| retain too much of the reward or the risk coming from the asset, says Robert
| Hahn, a partner with Hunton & Williams LLP. In addition, the SPE has to
| be "nonrecourse" — in other words, the company's creditors must not have
| claim to the assets of the SPE if the originating company goes bankrupt.
|
| "Securitization divorces the creditworthiness of the [company] from the
| credit of the pool," says Mark Spradling, a partner with Vinson & Elkings
| LLP. "True sale and nonconsolidation are part of that separation."
|
| But the opinion that legal control of receivables has passed to a third party
| has not been litigated in the bankruptcy courts....
|
| Tapping the capital markets without a lending bank in between means that even
| non-investment-grade companies can finance at near what triple-A companies
| pay.
`----

http://www.cfo.com/article.cfm/10013957/c_10203909?f=home_todayinfinance&x=1

Feeling the heat at Microsoft