[News] Matt Asay Lets His Grandmother Use GNU/Linux

Yes, my grandma can run Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| To this I responded, "Grandma, that's exactly the point. You shouldn't have
| to be 'smart' to use a computer. The computer should be smart enough to let
| anyone use it and benefit from it."
|
| After ripping out a few emails, browsing the web, writing some letters, etc.
| on Ubuntu Linux, I'm confident in saying that Ubuntu is smart enough for the
| myriad of average people like you, my grandma, and I.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9889681-16.html

Related:

Linux for your grandmother?

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m going with Kubuntu (my favorite desktop) although Opensuse is really nice
| for newbies to understand. Also, if you are going to try this project please
| use the OpenDNS servers for DNS so kids don’t end up on the wrong sites.
`----

http://blog.banksnetworking.com/2007/08/31/linux-for-your-grandmother/

The 10 Commandments for Windows Users

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Thou shalt not use the system without expecting a random reboot
| make sure you back files up, nothing quite like an unexpected reboot caused
| by windows updates.

http://www.searchfriendly.co.uk/the-10-commandments-for-windows-users/

Making My Grandparents Leet Linux Users - Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| Thunderbird, along with Firefox, are overkill for most Grandparents. Simpler
| applications would be easier to use. Epiphany is a good Firefox replacement,
| but I am not familiar with any other lighter-weight email clients.
`----

http://tomdryer.com/blog/index.php/2007/08/19/making-my-grandparents-leet-linux-users-part-2/

Cutting the Velvet Chain

,----[ Quote ]
| *Ed does what the "safe mode" help screen tells him to do. He finds and calls
| the number.
|
| *Ed stays on hold for 73 minutes using a toll number because he was told the
| hold time on the 800 number would be 30.
|
| *Ed reaches a tech support agent for his system and is asked a string of
| questions no casual computer user can answer.
|
| *After 49 minutes on the phone with the tech support agent, he is told that
| his system is broken and he must reinstall.
|
| *Ed dutifully holds while he is transferred and then reaches someone who
| convinces him that Vista is indeed his solution.
|
| *Ed dutifully goes to CompUSA to purchase Microsoft Vista.
|
| *Ed finds a sales person and inquires about Vista.
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/262-Cutting-the-Velvet-Chain.html

Making My Grandparents Leet Linux Users - Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| It was time for a new computer for my Grandparents. Their ancient Windows 98
| PC had become so slow that it was unusable. The replacement, an inexpensive
| Acer PC, came with Windows Vista preinstalled. It was up to me to set up the
| new computer and support it. So I decided to wipe out Vista with a Debian 4
| base install and set up an easy to use environment for my Grandparents. In
| this multi-part series I will tell you about how I did it, starting with my
| reasons for choosing Linux over Vista.
`----

http://tomdryer.com/blog/index.php/2007/08/17/making-my-grandparents-leet-linux-users-part-1/

Grandpa Gets a Dell with Ubuntu Linux Preinstalled

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm very happy with my computer. I feel the price was reasonable, and the
| service was good. In fact, Dell appears to have gone to the "Scotty school of
| engineering" -- project how long you expect a project to take, then double
| the time. Then, when you come in under that time, you look like a whiz.

Ubuntu for your grandmother.

,----[ Quote ]
| They say its for geeks, they say its for nerds, they say its for those
| whose pinkie finger has the imprint of the enter key tattooed on it. We
| say its for your grandmother ! Yes my friends, I kid you not, for all
| of those who are afraid to dip their little toe into the great Linux-Lake
| let us reassure you : If your grandmother can do it ? So can you. Before
| we start , let me clarify : We are not talking about turning your
| Linux machine into a clustered database server with SQL, PHP, Apache,
| Samba and what have you. We are talking about the advantages of using
| Linux .. as a desktop.
`----

http://www.knightwise.com/content/view/154/9/

Desktop Adapted for Dad