[News] Another Linux Device, Windows' Poor Handling of USB Devices Creates a Nuisance

  • Subject: [News] Another Linux Device, Windows' Poor Handling of USB Devices Creates a Nuisance
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:03:01 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Adware slips between pages of e-book

,----[ Quote ]
| The infection appears to be the imgInSOY worm, which copies itself between
| removable media and uses autorun.inf to infect any Windows system it comes
| across. In addition to copying itself onto any more removable devices the
| worm operates as adware.
|
| The Iliad is a Linux-based e-ink device which synchronises with a desktop PC
| to download books or other documents the user wants to read, as well as
| uploading sketches or annotations the user has made to existing documents.
| But when connected over USB the device also appears as a removable drive, and
| that's when the infection can occur.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/31/iliad_adware/

The Iliad runs Linux? How come nobody covered this stuff? Linux is probably
just assumed for such devices.

Linux Unhackable At TippingPoint Contest

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux fans will be thrilled to find out that their favorite operating
| system have proved the safest at the contest organized this week by the
| security firm TippingPoint.
`----

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Linux_Unhackable_At_TippingPoint_Contest_15743.html

Just keep Linux devices away from Windows. For Windows, "plug in" = "execute
arbitrary code", just like ActiveX... only worse.

Related:

USB flash drive worm arrives

,----[ Quote ]
| The LiarVB-A worm hunts for removable drives such as floppy disks and
| USB memory sticks and then creates a hidden file called autorun.inf to
| ensure a copy of the worm is run the next time it is connected to a
| Windows PC.

Hackers debut malware loaded USB ruse

,----[ Quote ]
| Malware purveyors deliberately left USB sticks loaded with a Trojan
| in a London car park in a bid to trick users into getting infected.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/25/usb_malware/

Security Experts Warn of a Worm Creeping into PCs Via USB Ports

,----[ Quote ]
| Security Experts at MicroWorld Technologies has warned of increased
| occurrences of a Worm with Trojan potentials, which has been
| infecting Enterprise systems and home PCs for the past two weeks.
`----

http://www.spywarehunter.org/entry/security-experts-warn-of-a-worm-creeping-into-pcs-via-usb-ports/

Spyware infection prompts McDonalds MP3 recall

,----[ Quote ]
| Users who connected the McDonalds-branded MP3 player to their
| Windows PC were exposed to spyware code programmed to transmit
| their web passwords and other sensitive information to hackers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/16/mcd_spyware_mp3_recall/

Some viruses come pre-installed

,----[ Quote ]
| From iPods to navigation systems, some of today's hottest gadgets are landing
| on store shelves with some unwanted extras from the factory — pre-installed
| viruses that steal passwords, open doors for hackers and make computers spew
| spam.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080313/ap_on_hi_te/factory_installed_viruses

Small Number of Video iPods Shipped With Windows Virus

,----[ Quote ]
| We recently discovered that a small number - less
| than 1% - of the Video iPods available for purchase
| after September 12, 2006, left our contract manufacturer
| carrying the Windows RavMonE.exe virus. This known
| virus affects only Windows computers...
`----

http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/

Apple blames Windows for iPod virus

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/061017/1361931.html?.v=1

Some viruses come pre-installed

,----[ Quote ]
| From iPods to navigation systems, some of today's hottest gadgets are landing
| on store shelves with some unwanted extras from the factory — pre-installed
| viruses that steal passwords, open doors for hackers and make computers spew
| spam.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080313/ap_on_hi_te/factory_installed_viruses

E-paper support for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the electrophoretic display controllers for which Linux support has
| been posted (tarball) is a controller from E-Ink called Apollo. This
| controller is interfaced to the host through 8-bit data and 6-bit control
| over General Purpose IO (GPIO) interfaces.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;833313752;fp;4;fpid;1968336438

Linux-based eBook reader leverages lightweight browser

,----[ Quote ]
| The NetFront browser enables users to click through to linked reference
| sites, such as Wikipedia, while they are reading.

Amazon's Kindle eBook Reader

,----[ Quote ]
| But in the final analysis, the point of the thing is to be a better book. It
| does this very well. Everything else is just icing on the cake, which is, in
| this case, not a lie.
`----

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/36063

Down with paper: A review of the Sony Reader

,----[ Quote ]
| Not only does the new Reader sport an SD card slot alongside the Pro Duo
| slot, but it plays AAC and MP3 files; ATRAC doesn't even make an appearance
| on the spec sheet. Oh, and did I mention that the Reader is Penguin-powered?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/sony-reader-review.ars

Sharp intros RD-CX100 dictionary / e-book reader

,----[ Quote ]
| It may not boast quite the versatility of its souped-up
| Linux-based "electronic dictionary," but if you're just looking for
| some basic e-book reading capabilities along with your
| multi-lingual dictionary, Sharp's new RD-CX100 looks like it
| may fit the bill.
`----

http://digg.com/gadgets/Sharp_intros_RD_CX100_dictionary_e_book_reader

HP offers peek at next-gen gadgets

,----[ Quote ]
| HP has unveiled some of the gadgets it is working on in its worldwide
| laboratories.
|
| [...]
|
| The e-book attracted most interest from delegates at the HP Mobility
| Summit in Shanghai. It uses touch sensitive strips on the base of
| the rectangular unit to select books and turn pages, runs a Linux
| OS and has a USB port to install new titles.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189600/hp-plans-touchscreen-ebook

Kindle sold out

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no telling if this is a consequence of consumer demand exceeding
| Amazon's forecasts as to how many people would want this thing, or if Amazon
| is taking a page out of Nintendo's book and creating a little product
| scarcity to drum up business. All I know is I got mine in the mail today, and
| I'm already in love.
|
| Flop? I think not.
`----

http://blog.blankbaby.com/blankbaby/2007/11/kindle-sold-out.html