Re: You just gotta LOVE vista!

____/ ray on Sunday 30 March 2008 15:26 : \____

> Regulars will be familiar with my work at the local library. eleven public
> access internet computers, of which nine run Linux. Just found out last
> week that a local hospital will be donating 10 slightly used xp computers
> as they replace them with vista machines. Library director has already
> decided how they will be deployed - install Linux and replace the older
> models we have in place (Compaq 800mhz P3's).

About a year and a half ago when Microsoft released a 'teaser' of Vista's
minimal specs -- however optimistic -- the guys on the local LUG's (ManLUG)
mailing list were cheering for precisely this reason. A lot of this old gear
will be inherited to be used with GNU/Linux, which is why Microsoft made all
sort of 'special' offers and discounts to PC recyclers in the UK (it's still a
question of XP versus something like KDE 4.1 on 'antiquated' hardware because
Vista is out of the question).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "World ends in five minutes - please log out"
 18:00:03 up 11 days,  5:09,  5 users,  load average: 2.46, 2.33, 1.88