[News] [SOT] All Your ISPs, Connections Are Belong [sic] to the RIAA?

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] All Your ISPs, Connections Are Belong [sic] to the RIAA?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 05:36:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Jim Griffin says ISP music tax only one possibility

,----[ Quote ]
| Pundits, music-industry insiders and members of the public are bashing Warner
| Music Group exec Jim Griffin after he acknowledged in a interview that he is
| working on a plan to collect music fees from consumers via their ISP bills.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9905952-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Recent:

RIAA boss: Move copyright filtering from ISPs to users’ PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| The issue of encryption "would have to be faced," Sherman admitted after
| talking about the wonders of filtering. "One could have a filter on the end
| user's computer that would actually eliminate any benefit from encryption
| because if you want to hear [the music], you would need to decrypt it, and at
| that point the filter would work."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080207-riaa-boss-spyware-could-solve-the-encryption-problem.html

Copyright Extensions and ISP Filtering: Breaking EU Culture, One Amendment at a
Time

,----[ Quote ]
| As you may recall, the European Parliament's forthcoming report on the
| Cultural Industries has become the latest target of lobbying by the recording
| industry. First, they attempted to insert language that advocated that
| European ISPs filter and block their own users on the basis of suspected
| infringement. As we explained to European Members of Parliament, such
| policies would not only harm the privacy and security of Net users - they
| would not even work to combat infringement. Like DRM, everyone would lose,
| including the music industry and artists that IFPI seeks to protect.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/01/copyright-extensions-and-isp-filtering-breaking-eu-culture-one-amendment-time
http://tinyurl.com/2sk3ux

AT&T and Other ISPs May Be Getting Ready to Filter

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/08/att-and-other-isps-may-be-getting-ready-to-filter/