Re: [News] Vista and Leopard Defeated, GNU/Linux Wins "Most Secure" Crown

____/ Sinister Midget on Saturday 29 March 2008 18:24 : \____

> On 2008-03-29, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>
>> From the article:
>>
>> "Macaulay said the flaw that he exploited was a cross-platform bug that
>>                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> took advantage of Java to circumvent Vista's security."
>>
>> "The flaw is in something else, but the inherent nature of Java allowed us
>>                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> to get around the protections that Microsoft had in place," he said in an
>> interview shortly after he claimed his prize Friday. "
>>
>> "This could affect Linux or Mac OS X."
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> "Macaulay said he chose to work on Vista because he had done contract work
>> for Microsoft in the past and was more familiar with its products."
>>
>> So, in other words, he attacked Vista because it was more popular, thus he
>> knew more about it.
>
> Wrong.
>
> He attacked Vista because he knew more about it, which had nothing to
> do with any popularity contests.
>
> The jury's still out on whether anybody /could/ exploit it in linux or
> Mac. The only thing that's known is it's a Java bug that's cross-
> platform. We /do/ know he was able to get around any "security"
> measures MS put into Vista, but we /don't/ know if the same can be done
> on anything else using the same bug.
>
> Any measures you can find to defend the monopolists, eh Erik? Even if
> it demonstrates foolishness and/or lack of ability to comprehend?

Without any connection to USNET, someone has just E-mailed me this:

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/vista-purposely-cripples-connections-to-other-operating-systems-23331

There you see the author has been assimilated.  MS Vista has a problem
and somehow it's the other system's fault.  Same spin happened on
Slashdot.

The wording should be changed from
        "It has been reported as a bug in the code on slashdot
        which lead to this article about how many swedes in Lund
        are unable to access the internet because the cities
        infrastructure runs on Linux."
to a more accurate description:
        "It has been reported as a bug in the code on slashdot
        which lead to this article about how many swedes in Lund
        are unable to access the internet because they are
        trying to run MS Vista"

So the AstroTurfers are still busy at Slashdot. We already know that Erik and
other Munchkins are inhibitants of Slashdot. Many people complain... long-time
readers.

"If you can’t make it good, at least make it look good."
                --Bill Gates, Microsoft
 05:05:01 up 10 days, 16:14,  5 users,  load average: 1.29, 1.66, 1.57