[News] Linux Mint Shows Great Promise, Ubuntu Simplified Further

  • Subject: [News] Linux Mint Shows Great Promise, Ubuntu Simplified Further
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:51:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux Mint - The Distro to Fill the Missing Gap

,----[ Quote ]
| Another thing that surprised me is the Ndiswrapper driver installation tool
| which they called it “Windows Wireless Drivers”. I used a D-Link DWL-G132
| Wireless USB Adapter to test it. I downloaded the Windows driver and found
| the .inf file. I used the Ndiswrapper driver installation tool to install
| the .inf file. Right away, Linux Mint detected my wireless USB adapter and I
| am able to connect to my wireless network.
`----

http://www.lebokov21.com/2008/03/27/linux-mint-the-distro-to-fill-the-missing-gap/

Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 Release Notes Rewritten in Plain English

,----[ Quote ]
| If you thought you needed help in the past to get Ubuntu on your computer
| that has Microsoft Windows on it right now, you’ll be happy to hear that we
| have integrated a new installer that works right in Windows. Just put in the
| CD and you will automatically see the Ubuntu Setup menu, just type in your
| desired username and password and press “Install” - it’s that easy to get
| started.
`----

http://www.fsckin.com/2008/03/28/ubuntu-hardy-heron-804-release-notes-rewritten-in-plain-english/

Related:

Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna KDE Community Edition

,----[ Quote ]
| You see I've always looked upon Mint with confusion; as a derivative of
| Ubuntu I never quite understood why it existed. Sure there was a time where
| preloading codecs and software was a desirable thing but now days everyone
| has tackled that problem in different ways - thus making "out of the box"
| releases like Mint a little redundant. There are some really interesting
| things about Mint that deviate from that stereotype massively.
`----

http://www.distro-review.com/review-linux-mint-4-0-daryna-kde-community-edition

Release Notes for Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna KDE Community Edition, by Jamie Boo
Birse

,----[ Quote ]
| Daryna KDE is nearly as minty as the main edition now. The packages are
| (safely) upto date and the kernel is the Gutsy Gibbon kernel 2.6.22-14.
`----

http://linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_kde.php

ReviewLinux.Com: First Look Linux Mint 4.0 KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| Thought I would take a quick look at the latest release of Linux Mint.  Linux
| Mint 4.0 KDE is just under 1.0 gig and now has to be placed on a DVD.  The
| install process was easy and smooth.  The LiveDVD works fine also but I
| decided to install it to my hard drive and take a few screenshots for your
| enjoyment.
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=9685

Linux Review 5- Linux Mint 4 "Daryna"

,----[ Quote ]
| So, lets look at the pro's-
|
|     * GNOME looks more familiar to Windows users.
|     * Very Nice UI
|     * Easy to use
|     * Fast
|     * Uses Ubuntu Repositories
|     * Comes with Flash and Java
|     * and it is easy to change and customize
|
| There are just a few cons-
|
|     * LiveCD Boot is extremely slow, slower than Ubuntu
|     * Some confusing options
`----

http://linux-exploration.blogspot.com/2008/03/linux-review-5-linux-mint-4-daryna.html

First look at Linux Mint 4.0 (by Susan Linton)

,----[ Quote ]
| At present they are producing a fantastic and original desktop with handy
| tools and highly desired functionality. This is truly their best release yet.
| It feels like they've reached the summit.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20071126#review

Introducing Linux Mint 4.0 ‘Daryna’

,----[ Quote ]
| You’ve probably heard of Linux Mint from some blog or RSS feed but never
| looked into it thinking it’s just another distribution which can never
| outtake Ubuntu, the distribution you’re currently using. In this case, you’re
| in for a big surprise mister! Linux Mint IS Ubuntu but it also provides some
| extra goodies and a brilliant, gorgeous and sexy interface. So basically, you
| should think about Linux Mint as Ubuntu with a twist. And not just any other
| twist, a BIG twist, one that will make you erase any distribution you have
| and install Linux Mint instead because it simply ROCKS!
`----

http://www.linuxlove.org/2007/11/19/introducing-linux-mint-40-daryna/

Linux Mint 4.0 Screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
| A few days ago, Linux Mint 4.0 (codename Daryna) has been released. Version
| 4.0 of Linux Mint is based on Celena and compatible with Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy
| Gibbon) and its repositories. This release features include mintDesktop,
| mintAssistant, mintInstall, mintUpdate and so on. The following are some
| screenshots of Linux Mint 4.0.
`----

http://phorolinux.com/linux-mint-40-screenshots.html

A Date with Daryna

,----[ Quote ]
| I can honestly say that Daryna is yet another successful distribution release
| of Mint. It is highly recommended for those who want a hassle-free Linux
| distribution because of its exceptional hardware and software support,
| ease-of-use, and ever growing online community that can provide some
| technical assistance. I can also recommend Mint 4.0 to newbies as it can be
| painlessly configured without even touching a CLI. As a final point, Daryna
| undoubtedly maintained or even improved Mint’s natural elegance.
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2007/11/date-with-daryna.html

ReviewLinux.com: Linux Mint 4.0 - An Elegant Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Mint 4.0 Beta was released yesterday October 26 2007 and I thought I
| would have a quick look at it. Linux Mint is not packed full of software but
| it does have a great look and well worth looking at. Check out the images as
| well as the Flash Video of Linux Mint 4.0 Beta in action.
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=7962

Linux Mint 4.0 "Daryna" - English

,----[ Quote ]