[News] GNU/Linux Distribution Weighs Only 25 MB and Impresses

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Distribution Weighs Only 25 MB and Impresses
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:38:07 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
SliTaz GNU/Linux, the Smallest “Desktop” Distro Ever Created

,----[ Quote ]
| “At 25 MB, it has to be the smallest desktop distro ever created”. These were
| the words of Ladislav Bodnar in the most recent issue of Distrowatch Weekly
| when he announced this fresh and minuscule distribution as a new addition to
| the waiting list. Its name is SliTaz, and I was so intrigued about it that I
| tried it out.
|
| [...]
|
| After having extensively used SliTaz GNU/Linux 1.0, I can honestly say that
| it is a highly capable distro with a bright future ahead. It is ideal for
| rescuing a broken system, and even for full desktop usage especially when
| employed on older computer machines since it is fast and ultra-lightweight. I
| just hope that those minor bugs that I’ve encountered will be fixed by the
| next release version. Despite those slight troubles, I’m keeping my SliTaz
| GNU/Linux LiveCD just in case. DSL should watch out, because this new distro
| on the block is surely here to stay.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/03/slitaz-gnulinux-smallest-desktop-distro.html

"We should dedicate a cross-group team to come up with ways to leverage Windows
technically more."

                                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft

Related:

Anti Releases an Update to antiX 7.0

,----[ Quote ]
| MEPIS has announced the release of antiX-M7.01 "Lysistrata" , a lightweight
| derivative of SimplyMEPIS 7.0. antiX is built and maintained by MEPIS
| community member anticapitalista, as a free version of MEPIS for very old 32
| bit PC hardware and is designed to work on computers with as little as 64MB
| RAM and Pentium II or equivalent, but not AMD K5/K6 processors.
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/14188

antiX M-7, The Fat-free Mepis

,----[ Quote ]
| I would say that AntiX is highly recommended for those who have older
| machines because of its dependable hardware detection and its light
| footprint. While it did not perform as well as Xubuntu on my older laptop, I
| still consider AntiX as a very promising distro that could easily beat any
| lightweight distribution in the near future.
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2007/11/antix-fat-free-mepis.html

ReviewLinux.Com: First Look at MEPIS AntiX 7.0 Beta 2

,----[ Quote ]
| I am always looking for a faster Linux OS that just does the basics. I want a
| low-overhead Linux distro that can run on almost any machine be it a Pentium
| 2 to a Pentium 4. MEPIS AntiX 7.0 Beta 2 might just be the one. Check out my
| short little review about this Linux distro plus my flash video showing off
| this fast and lightweight Linux OS.
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/index.php?m=show&id=6903

antiX MEPIS 6.5 Screenshots

http://shots.linuxquestions.org/?linux_distribution_sm=antiX%20MEPIS%206.5

AntiX "Spartacus", Lightweight Version of MEPIS is Released

,----[ Quote ]
| MEPIS has announced the "Spartacus" release of antiX, a lightweight
| derivative of MEPIS. AntiX is built and maintained by MEPIS community member
| anticapitalista, as a free version of MEPIS for very old 32 bit PC hardware.
`----

http://www.mepis.org/node/13830

New AntiX distro makes older hardware usable

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/11520399