[News] [Rival] Microsoft's "Shoddy by Design" 'White Spaces' Saga

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's "Shoddy by Design" 'White Spaces' Saga
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 15:27:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[Fool the feds once shame on you, fool them twice...]

'White Spaces' test device breaks again

,----[ Quote ]
| A Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ:MSFT) device that federal regulators are testing to
| see if it will safely transmit high-speed Internet service over unused
| television airwaves 'unexpectedly shut down' on Wednesday.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/AFX-0013-24107445.htm

Maybe it's just as bad as that buggy, badly-designed Zune, or those exploding
XBox360s.

They still try to expand onto new areas. Software becomes a commodity. It's all
about services. When someone buys a Mac or a Windows/Linux PC, most
money/effort will be spent maintaining. Acquisition costs of software don't
translate into revenues as large as those from services.

Related:

Microsoft's game division suffers $1.89B shortfall

,----[ Quote ]
| Among the grim financial figures were a few nuggets of interesting news.
| Apparently the EDD is beefing up its staff, since the company's report says
| that "headcount-related costs increased 15 percent [for the year], driven by
| a 9 percent increase in headcount and an increase in salaries and benefits
| for existing headcount, partially offset by a decrease in stock-based
| compensation expense."
`----

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6175367.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews

Design flaws, defects, and faults