Re: [News] Linux Gets Another New Filesystem from Nokia (UBI)

"Hadron" <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> stated in post
fskk4b$rhc$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 3/28/08 10:29 PM:

> Snit <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> stated in post
>> 402261403.bivGlnRjUO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 3/28/08 8:24 PM:
>>
>>> In Linux, it's all taken for granted because it just works (no
>>> defragmentation needed, for example).

>>> New functionality includes larger capacities and online defragmentation, for
>>> better performance and more reliability.
>>
>> So is defragmentation needed or not?
>
> Google up maildir systems on multi user servers. You will have a
> laugh. But as anyone who knows the reality of fileservers will testify
> there is no "perfect" solution.  It's all a trade off.

The idea that there are trade-offs was sorta my point - well, that and
showing that Roy clearly does not read our understand what he posts.  :)

The idea that there is one solid answer on defagging is a myth... it depends
on your needs.  Server distros should be set in ways that are *generally*
what servers would need and desktop distros should be set to be used as
desktop users would *generally* use them - and there should be the ability
for an advanced user to alter the settings as needed (though, especially on
the desktop, there should be some hand-holding to reduce the risk of an
experimenting user messing things up too badly).

--
When thinking changes your mind, that's philosophy.
When God changes your mind, that's faith.