Re: Microsoft Appears to Be Dumping Against GNU/Linux in New Zealand

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Appears to Be Dumping Against GNU/Linux in New Zealand
  • From: peterwn <peterwn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 22:26:55 -0700 (PDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Mar 28, 3:23 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Ases Eee PC with XP - special discount for schools?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | So, hold on a second! A special tender for educational institutions? And this
> | is only for the XP version of the Eee PC, not the Linux version? I wonder who
> | managed to line up this deal? Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft
> | would be the one sponsoring this. Probably giving away the copies of XP more
> | or less for free. If anyone has any information on the details of this,
> | please let me know...

Unfortuntely AFAIK the NZ Education Ministry pays Microsoft an annual
lump sum to licence Windows and Office on PC's for state schools
regardless of number of 'seats'.  Hence AFAIK suppliers can supply
Eee's with XP to schools without need for indiidual licences.
Incidentally Dick Smiths in NZ (similar to Radio Shack) already sells
XP loaded Eee's for an extra $NZ100 (about $US80-90).