Re: [News] Larry Augustin and Others Declare Open Source Victory, Visions of Utopia

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
[...]
> http://venturebeat.com/2008/03/26/open-source-business-conference-great-we-won-so-what-did-we-win/

"I had a chance to interview Bob Bickel, who launched his new company
Ringside Networks at the conference (I?m going to post about it later
tonight), and he described OSBC as ?depressing.? It?s great that the big
guys are using open source, he said ? unless you thought open source
could be something more.

Bickel?s version of what would spell success? A company that could go
big by ?offering IBM?s software portfolio in open source.? Instead, he
said, everyone at the conference (even Ringside) wants to use open
source as a marketing tool, not a full business model.

Bickel used to be the vice president of strategy and corporate
development at JBoss (which has since been acquired by Red Hat), and he
recalled sitting down with JBoss? chief executive in 2002 to outline the
company?s long-term strategy. Since then, there hasn?t been much new.
Everything at this week?s conference was a sort of rehash of what was
known long ago: The whole conference is ?basically that Powerpoint
presentation dragged out,? Bickel said."

regards,
alexander.

--
"At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our

                                       Mark Kent
                                       Head of Technology Strategy