[News] Free Software Still Dominant in Virtualisation

The Current State of Open Source Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| We’ve started by looking back at a decade of Open Source virtualization, and
| in this second part of the series we’ll tackle today’s landscape (last
| updated in March 2008).
`----

http://virtualization.com/guides-howto-whitepaper-explanation/2008/03/26/open-source-virtualisation-today/

Related:

Looking Back At A Decade of Open Source Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| That’s what some people would have us believe now that the virtualization
| hype is reaching never before seen heights, and large acquisitions & mergers
| are starting to become quite common ( Citrix bought Xensource, Novell picked
| up PlateSpin, Sun acquired innotek, Quest Software snapped up Vizioncore
| while VMware treated itself to Thinstall, and so on).
|
| But few people realize or fail to acknowledge that the large majority of
| virtualization techniques and developments were started as, or remain Open
| Source projects.
`----

http://virtualization.com/guides-howto-whitepaper-explanation/2008/03/10/looking-back-at-a-decade-of-open-source-virtualisation/
http://tinyurl.com/2wmtq8

Virtualization: A feature of the hardware, not the OS?

,----[ Quote ]
| "Even though Xen has been part of (Linux products) for a while, it's really
| just now getting ready for prime time," Haff said. "VMware is still very much
| the dominant player in virtualization."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6206867.html

VirtualBox: A Review